Thursday, November 11, 2021

Veterans Day

The 11th hour:  A quiet walk in the park.


Robert Sage, 1945, Germany
Some soldiers survive a war, come out OK, and get to live their lives.


My father was drafted early in 1942 and spent four years in the army, about six months of it in close combat in Europe. During my boyhood dad said little about those years. There were no stories of danger or heroism. "My job was to get the message through. I had to stay alive to do it," he said.


He survived the war and came back to his boyhood home, Medford and the farm at Table Rock. He had three children. He had a long career as a schoolteacher and principal. He died at home, at age 92, his body worn out from decades of living. Lucky.


Robert Sage, 2003, Germany
At age 80 my father visited the places where he had seen combat and began writing his memoirs. Then the stories came out: Freezing cold, cities bombed, near misses, bodies mangled, soldiers dying. Surviving the war had a big element of random luck, being in the right place at the right time. Or not.


Larry Slessler, too, saw combat--Slessler's in Vietnam. He grew up in Medford and graduated from Medford High in 1957 and the University of Oregon in 1961. He entered the military in the fall of 1961 and served until 1972. His post-military career involved service to veterans and “Welfare to Work” programs. He asked me if I would post this on Veterans Day.


Guest Post by Larry Slessler


Since I was a young lad; time in Lithia Park, Ashland, Oregon has meant a great deal to me. I think it one of best parks in all of Oregon. From the creek that runs its lengths, the tall native trees, benches, secluded picnic tables…the setting is one of peace and tranquility. When I was a boy, the park held a small zoo and I would always visit it and feed leaves to the tame deer that were part of the exhibit.

 

Larry Slessler
When I came home from war in 1966, one of the first things I did was take my two and a half year old son Nathan to the Lithia Park playground. Because of the year I was gone, I was no longer a real person to my children. Playing with Nathan on the swings, slides and other contraptions helped make me real to him. And in a truth, I hated to admit, make him real to me. My son was not the same boy at age two and a half as he had been a year earlier when I left. 
 

The park was a natural selection for Elizabeth’s and my wedding in 1989. She too has fond memories of Lithia Park. Over the years since our wedding, Liz and I take walk’s to the spot near the upper duck pond, where we were married and think back to that time in 1989. 

 

And yet there is one small part of Lithia Park that leads to emotions of sadness and being honest with myself, anger for me. I avoid that small bit of real estate most of the time. However, on some days I am compelled to visit it. 

 

Not many yards from where Liz and I were married is a large stone with a bronze plaque set into the stone. The plaque pays homage to Ashland soldiers killed in WWI. Two parts of that plaque tear into my soul each time I allow myself to view it. First; it pays tribute to the men “…that gave their lives…” At the bottom of the tribute it says; “Dulce et decorum Est pro patria mori.” In English; “How sweet and fitting it is to die for one’s country.”

 

Maybe you can identify with, or understand my emotions. In my experience soldiers do not “Give their lives.” Those lives are ripped from them in violent ways and a future life denied. To add that it is sweet and fitting to that violent death is, to me, obscene. 

    

Vietnam 1967, Iraq 2006, or Afghanistan 2014: “Hay Bill, Hank got killed on patrol. That’s sweet Frank…” Are you kidding me! That conversation would get you mentally discharged or; more likely shot.

 

The attached photo, taken by Liz on our walk is a picture of the Lithia Park plaque.

 

Peace and love to each of you.





[Tomorrow: the famous World War One poem, Dulce et decorum, est, by Wilfred Owen]


5 comments:

Rick Millward said...

Being anti-war does not mean anti-defense.

When sovereign interests are in opposition those differences must be resolved peacefully. This is the crowning achievement of civilization and the hope for the future of mankind. However, it must be acknowledged that not every nation acts rationally, often because of political leadership that uses fear of external threats to hold power, a tactic all too easy to employ. For instance, one dangerous aspect of these policies is the use of pre-emptive force.

These same tactics can be used by unscrupulous politicians with regard to internal tensions, particularly when a political party has narrow interests, as in the case of the current Republican party.

Democrats can advocate for a strong national defense which in fact is a major deterrent in international affairs. This is a rational response to a world with bad actors. However this comes with the charge to use that power responsibly, knowing it not without cost.

I think the inscription on the plaque can also be interpreted to mean giving one's life to defend their loved ones, which can be noble and not in the abstract. In that way it should read: "Quam dulce et decorum est pro caris mori."

It should be the goal of everyone to avoid that sacrifice above all.

Mike said...

Mention of the plaque in Lithia Park commemorating Ashland soldiers killed in WWI seems particularly fitting today. Originally, this was called Armistice Day, honoring the truce that ended WWI, “the war to end all wars.” When it became apparent that our rulers intended to keep us embroiled in war after war after war, the name was changed to Veterans Day to make it more inclusive.

Low Dudgeon said...

Thank you for your service, and for this piece, Mr. Slesser, and RIP Robert Sage. In England "The Great War" still makes a lot of sense. Every memorial plaque has five to ten times the names as for WWII.

My grandfather, an Army captain, was killed in the mop-up after the Battle of the Bulge in January 1945. He never saw my infant mother. I visited his grave in Luxembourg, a stone's throw from General Patton.

Dave Norris said...

I served in the Marines during Vietnam and later in the Submarine Service and I understand Slessler on a gut level. I too have a problem with that monument.

Anonymous said...

I have learned not to trust a lot of what is said by civilians to or about veterans. For example, when we returned from overseas in the early 70s, we were spit on and called baby killers from the same patriots who now want to shake my hand and thank me for my service. Fickle hypocrites! I told each of my sons that if they ever enlisted to let me know; I would buy some beer and we'd drink them up on the roof. Then, I would push them off and break their arm or leg before I'd let them go in.