Sunday, January 21, 2024

Easy Sunday: Curt Ankerberg is back

Curt Ankerberg has filed as a candidate for Jackson County commissioner.

I have a quandary. 

Should I give space to a candidate for local office, so that readers can get a better idea of who is on the ballot?

Or should I stay silent about a candidate that many Medford-area voters find dangerous and vile?

Local News KOBI

Curt Ankerberg is a perennial candidate, this time for county commissioner. He is well-informed. Sometimes he makes sharp, insightful observations about local government.

He regularly sends me abusive comments for publication. I delete them. They routinely include sexually explicit accusations of pedophilia and other sex crimes targeting Democrats, local media figures, random strangers, and me. He calls local business leaders and officeholders corrupt and self-dealing. He names names.

He is a vigorous defender of Trump and MAGA policies, including election denialism and opposition to abortion. He nearly won a Republican primary for a state Senate seat against a very strong candidate, technology entrepreneur Jessica Gomez, who outspent him about 50-to-one. I expect him to be more popular now. Ankerberg had been an outlier. He was far too obscene, vicious, and contemptuous of people and norms of behavior to be a plausible candidate. Now he is a mainstream MAGA Republican. Ankerberg hasn't changed.  Republican standards and expectations have. Ankerberg sounds a lot like Trump when he tweets in all caps. Obscenity, viciousness, and contempt are features, not bugs.

Ankerberg is smart and strategic in filing for the partisan county commissioner position. His strongest race is in a GOP primary contest, where he fits his voters. He can prove his connection to voters considering the county commission office by showing that he shares their disdain for Joe Biden and his support for Trump and overturning the 2020 election. He is Mr. Red Meat Republican.

Some readers warn me, "Never feed the troll.” They advise I never mention Ankerberg. He is trouble. They remind me that Ankerberg is a Republican. He is their problem, their potential standard-bearer. Let Republicans buy campaign ads to describe Ankerberg. Let them clean their own house, if, in fact, they want it cleaned. 

The alternative is for me is to continue doing what this blog has done in prior elections, which is to give examples to readers on how Ankerberg comports himself. He may be the change-agent Republicans want, but he comes with baggage. 

I welcome advice from readers. How should I handle this?



Update:  Curt Ankerberg has a comment. Unlike the vast majority of his proposed comments, it does not include obscenities, accusations of sex crimes, repetition of disproved conspiracies, plagiarism, or defamations. I have reservations about publishing it because it gives a false impression of Ankerberg normal behavior, although I am confident this comment is genuinely from Ankerberg. This is him -- on his "best behavior."  He can present this way when he chooses to, and this may be his new "campaign demeanor," which he may be able to sustain. There is another, much darker, side of Ankerberg, displayed in the comments and interactions I can only publish after severe editing. That, too, is him.




[Note: To get daily delivery of this blog to your email go to Https://petersage.substack.com  Subscribe. The blog is free and always will be.]




15 comments:

Curt said...

Well....I suspect that most of the readers of this blog are liberal Democrats who hate Republicans, so I wouldn't rely on them for their votes. They'd prefer to vote for a Democrat Communist over a conservative Libertarian. It doesn't bother me when Communists hate on me. I love you too, Peter.

GOP voters can vote for my opponent RINO Randy Sparacino, which really means that they are voting to keep the Chamber of Commerce good old boys in power. Is that what you want? The Chamber of Commerce already controls Dave Dotterrer (who was previously employed as a Chamber lobbyist for 4 years) and they control Rick Dyer. Thus, the commissioners' entire agenda is to serve the Chamber, while the taxpayers get screwed. Chamber members currently get millions of dollars in secret contracts under the table from the County that you never hear about. The Chamber has destroyed Medford and Jackson County.

The last I looked, homeless, dope-head bums and crime were rampant in Jackson County, while the Commissioners have done nothing to solve the problem. The quality of life in Jackson County has plummeted. But, Democrat Jeff Golden wants to keep hard-drugs legal. Jeff Golden and the Democrats have caused our current homeless addiction problem with their foolish drug policies.

In my professional life, I managed the two largest CPA firms in southern Oregon. Only the most competent people get to the level I achieved. What have you done? I am highly competent. I have more management and financial experience than any other candidate, period. You can crap on me all you want, but that doesn't negate the fact that I'm the most qualified candidate, regardless of your biased opinions.

And, contrary to the blog writer's opinion, I'm not a Trump fanatic. Is that the standard that Peter Sage uses to hate his political opponents? I'd prefer Ron DeSantis over Trump, but since Trump appears to be the GOP nominee, then I'd choose him over China Joe Biden. Corrupt China Joe has destroyed America. America has turned into a shithole. Who wouldn't want to make America great again?

Rick Dyer and Colleen Roberts have been commissioners for almost 10 years each, and you can't tell me one thing they've accomplished in that time. They want to spend $65 million on an unneeded community center in Central Point, and they want to spend another $25 million on an aeronautical center in Medford which is unneeded, while we don't have enough jail space to house the criminals in this county. If I get elected, then I'll deliver a new jail, and I won't raise the citizens' taxes to pay for it, either.

Peter Sage recently falsely whined in a RV Times editorial that Democrats won't sign-up for political races because they are not "nonpartisan". That seems odd, since GOP races are no different, and they have no problem fielding candidates. What is more odd is that Peter Sage is extremely partisan, and he continually takes potshots at conservatives like me.

Peter Sage invests a lot of time smearing me, which really tells me that he fears me, because I'm a strong, viable candidate, and they only way that he can beat me is by lying about me and smearing me. That's the same tactic that the corrupt local media uses. I now view it as a compliment, because you know that I'm good, and you have to lie about me in order to beat me. Did you know that Democrat Jessica Gomez paid $17,000 to a political hitman in order to smear me with false information? That's what I get to deal with.

If voters want positive change in Jackson County, then they can vote for Curt Ankerberg for Jackson County Commissioner. If Peter Sage can do the job, then I certainly can do it!

Curt Ankerberg
Medford, OR

Mike said...

I would encourage you to write an editorial that included examples of his mental derangement in his own words, his tax fraud and his belligerence which so alarmed our county elections clerk that she had to call the police. The problem is that Republicans seem to find that sort of behavior irresistible. We can only hope the majority of citizens still prefer accepted norms of civil society.

If you do such a post, you should also submit it to the Rogue Valley Times, although that would obviously require censorship of his trademark obscenity.

P.S. Regarding his self-proclaimed competence: Let's not forget he lost his CPA license.

Phil Arnold said...

A censorship-like position vs. Ankerburg's putrified drivel. A real dilemma for a blogger like you who wants to share community ideas.

Geesh! Good luck.

Michael Trigoboff said...

Do whatever you can figure out to help defeat CA.

Maybe publish a large compendium of his most pathological messages to you, and spread it widely around the county. You could hit the local social media sites, such as NextDoor.

Woke Guy :-) said...

I agree with M.T. comment above, whatever is necessary to not let a lunatic like CA into office is a good thing. Posting some of his stuff on NextDoor is a great idea.

Generally I'd say you are doing a good job of posting an occasional comment by Ankerberg while not actually giving him a platform to espouse unhinged nonsense unchecked. Your status quo of exposing him for what he really is works well IMO.

Ed Cooper said...

Losing that CPA License is akin to being disbarred for an Attorney.

Mike said...

Attorneys are disbarred and priests are defrocked, so are bean counters debeaned or disbeaned?

Michael Trigoboff said...

Accountants have their accounts closed, and then become unaccounted for. 😱

Mc said...

When hell freezes over, Curt.

Mc said...

Pete, I suggest someone he has libelled should sue him. Maybe a class action lawsuit is in order.

Give him a Rudy!

Robert B in Ashland said...

Curt Ankerberg is rough around the edges. His Republican opponent is already buddy buddy with the commissi9ners. He gets the job handed off to him by Dotterer.

But wait. We elect commissioners and Dotterer doesn’t get to p pass it along like an inheritance. Ankerberg will shake things up. The establishment of Republicans, business people, and Danny Jordan could stand some of the same medicine Trump brought the GOP. The ballot petition people are shaking things upfrom the left and Ankerberg will do it from the right. Wake up and smell the coffee, buckeroos. The fuddy-duddy Republicans are past their sell-by date. There is a new style of kickass, and Ankerberg is it.

I don’t care if Ankerberg is a potty mouth. I like that he will shake things up.

I live in Ashland but I vote Republican. Yes there are some of us here, in hiding.

Mike said...

Robert B presents a self-defeating argument, much like many who support Trump. We don't need to destroy the government in order to save it. All we need to do is elect better candidates. Neither Ankerberg nor Trump fit the description.

Ed Cooper said...

Right you are, Mike, especially about the "self defeating". If Robert B is so sure the County Government needs shaking up ( It does) , let him run for Commissioner as a sane stand-in for Ankerberg.
I've been gathering signatures for JacksonCountyforall.org since the beginning, which is a Nonpartisan effort, not "liberal", not "conservative", and while I have no way of verifying this, because we don't ask, but I'm willing to bet that just as many Republicans have signed our Petitions as Democratic registrants. My personal hope is that allowing thec37% of Jackson County voters who are registered as other than R or D, we can attract other Candidates for the Board who are more interested in serving all the citizens if the County, without grinding Partisan axes.

Mike said...

Ed -
I hope that's the case, and if true, it would be a good reason for putting the petitions on the ballot earlier, rather than at the time of the election. However, a friend of mine is also collecting signatures and was told by some they wouldn't sign the petitions because they're conservative. Go figure.

Joe Cambodia 🇰🇭 said...

I’ll vote for Curt. I’d even give him a few bucks if he could get a website together. How bad could he be compared to a non practicing attorney and the Covid cupcake nutty frootcake.