It isn't all politics, all the time, everywhere.
Part One: Melons.
(I will catch you up on grapes and the noxious puncture vine in subsequent posts. If posts about melons bore you, skip reading now.)
I still grow a few melons in a small patch next to the vineyard. I grow them out of habit and inertia.
![]() |
| Jerry Evans, with a sample of the melons we picked Tuesday morning |
Southern Oregon residents will recognize Jerry Evans, the owner-operator-host of the fine-dining restaurant The Jacksonville Inn, now retired. It was a great restaurant. It served presidents, senators, celebrities of all kinds, billionaires, poor people, and teens on prom dates. He came out to the farm to look over my grapes and melons.
My father, brother, and I started growing melons in about 1961, when I was 11 years old. We sold them to local produce markets and to Sherm's Thunderbird, who made the effort to buy local produce. My brother and I each banked $1,000 every summer. That amount was over half of the tuition at Harvard; it was $1,760 my freshman year. Melons got me though college debt free.
My farm roots may have allowed me to win election to the county commission as a Democrat, notwithstanding the Reagan landslide election of 1980. My election opponents described me as a fish out of water, a local boy ruined by an east-coast education. But I was authentically poor. I drove an old truck. I got dirty working. I was proud to call myself a truck farmer. And people saw my melons, rubber stamped "SAGE" in stores.
When I was freshly retired from my career as a financial advisor in 2015, I experimented with growing a large field again and I invited people out to see the melon field.
I had fun watching parents and kids eating watermelon.
There was a problem. I had aged out of doing field work. Carrying multiple loads of 60-pound buckets of melons became more than my back could handle.
My nephew, now age 18, is a huge help with the vineyard as we put up bird netting. More about that shortly.








No comments:
Post a Comment