Monday, February 7, 2022

No knock warrants:

Nine seconds:

"Police! [Garble. Garble.] Get on the Floor! Police!  [Garble.] Get on the fucking floor."

Bang. Bang. Bang.


The words are nearly unintelligible because four or five men were shouting at the same time.  Watch:

Click here

The Minneapolis police were investigating a murder that took place in the neighboring twin city of St. Paul, Minnesota. The police were not looking for Amir Locke, the man who was shot and killed, but he was on the couch of the place searched. He was wrapped in blankets just inside the door. He had a gun in hand when he was seen by police. A police officer entering the room decided in that instant that lives were in danger. A police officer shot and killed him.

The police department's interim chief said that their entry was announced. Officers "loudly and repeatedly announced ‘police search warrant’ before crossing the threshold into the apartment.” I have listened multiple times to the recording and cannot decipher the word "warrant" but I did hear "police" and "get on the fucking floor." Mostly I heard a cacophony of shouting. I watched them enter immediately, not after a warning.

I imagined myself being asleep in my bed in the middle of the night. I identified with Locke, startled out of sleep by angry shouting. The warrant was served just before 7:00 a.m. according to reports. Sunrise in Minneapolis is at 7:30. It would be dark out.  

Maybe Locke was awakened from sleep. I would have been wide awake for several hours at that hour, preparing a blog post. I would have been startled and frightened, but not groggy. Amir Locke may have been asleep and confused. It is not unusual or criminal to be asleep on a couch a half hour before sunrise. 

He was holding a gun. Guns seem suspicious to me. Very possibly he was up to no good. I don't identify with a man sleeping near a gun, but I am aware that many people keep guns in their houses for protection against intruders. I am reminded by conservative readers that it is a 2nd Amendment right. Having a gun at hand doesn't need explanation or justification under the law. It isn't criminal. 

I don't keep a gun near my bedside, although I consider it. I sometimes get unhinged comments sent to this blog. I send some of them to the police for a file they keep of these comments. They tell me they are evidence of disturbed thinking, but the letters and comments are not criminal in themselves. Carrying a handgun for personal protection is a two-edged sword. It might protect me from an intruder. If I were startled awake by the sound of a door crashing and men shouting and coming toward me and my wife, my instinct certainly would be to reach for a gun if one were nearby. Wouldn't anyone? If it were a thief or crazy person, I would be glad to have it. If it were the police, it might get me killed. Of course, having no gun may not protect me against police moving quickly in the dark. Consider the speed of their entry, the obscurement of the blankets, and the near-instant decision that there was a deadly threat, all amid the chaos of officers moving quickly and shouting. In the uncertain light police might mistake my black bedside telephone for a gun if it appeared suddenly out of blankets. 

I understand that police have every right and need to protect themselves. They undoubtedly thought they were going into a dangerous place. And they were. They encountered an armed man there. They were in uniform and shouting verbal commands, the first two steps in the continuum of force. Under the circumstances, in a dark room with bright lights shined at Locke, their uniforms would have been unseen, especially if he was groggy with sleep. He would have been blinded by their high-powered flashlights. Giving clear commands is step two. My sense is that a half-dozen men each shouting different things to a man wrapped in blankets is better described as a chaotic provocation, not a clear command. 

I think police escalated this encounter. They could have gotten themselves and multiple innocent parties killed in the apartment and ones around it. As it was, one person was killed, and he was doing nothing criminal.

Oregon has outlawed no-knock search warrants. So has Florida and Virginia. Note that the Minneapolis police may not consider this a "no knock" warrant. After all, the interim chief claimed the police "loudly and repeatedly" gave warning before crossing the threshold. This simply isn't true. They burst in. 

I was brought up to respect the police. My assumption has been that police officers are the good guys and would be reliable witnesses. I have mentioned this assumption to former trial judges and attorneys who work criminal cases. They laugh at my naïveté.  

I have placed inquiries with the City of Medford police and the Jackson County, Oregon sheriff department to learn their on-the-ground practices when making searches. Southern Oregon has illegal cannabis grow-sites and there are announcements of busts and seizures of cannabis and cash every week. I will report what they tell me.




13 comments:

Low Dudgeon said...

The average American knows it's suddenly time to studiously memorize names and analyze case facts and police procedures when civil rights ambulance chaser Benny Crump hits town to appear on TV and collect thirty-three percent of the inevitable, facts-irrelevant settlement.

Only a handful of names matter, just as black lives taken in violence matter much, more more in the scant fraction of cases overall when they are taken by whites, or by perceived agents of whiteness, namely police officers (of any color; in cities, typically majority BIPOC).

Already angry ignoramuses in Minneapolis demand rough "justice" for Locke's racist "murder". Was this outcome connected to race? Likely the victim and suspects in the initial homicide were black. Locke slept holding a gun under his blanket because he feared...police?

It's connected to race in that had Locke been killed by the folks he was apparently expecting, the story maybe makes the front section of the Star-Tribune. Same if Locke was white. But when the principals evoke trendy social justice narratives, let's all furrow our brows.

Rick Millward said...

The 2nd Amendment is long obsolete anachronism from colonial tines. It reflected the recent Revolutionary War and the heightened concern over tyranny, so much so that it's been a recurring theme in our society ever since. The reality is the likelihood of a citizen revolt is miniscule, but the gun fetish, and a gun lobby aligned with corrupt politicians who gin up "oppressive government" nonsense has perpetuated it.

The result is guns everywhere, including in the hands of criminals, the mentally ill and children. This creates both a paranoid and cynical police force who now must assume any suspect is armed. Add racial bias to the equation and the risks are exacerbated.

Police raids are a desperate tactic used in the face of out of control crime. Their use is evidence of the failure at every level of a society that creates criminals and then uses their crimes as an excuse to maintain a police state that puts everyone in danger.

Dave Norris said...

I appreciate and agree with your concerns in this matter, but what I don't understand is why you do it. I am a Luddite when it comes to computers, blogs etc. so I am not sure how unhinged readers could physically threaten you and yours, but I'm sure they can somehow. So, my question is, why expose yourself to such danger?

Mike said...

No-knock warrants disproportionately target minorities and result in the death of innocent civilians – mostly black It's especially disturbing when they raid the wrong home. But God forbid that anybody should suggest it has anything to do with systemic racism. CRT! Woke agenda!! Commies everywhere!!!

Low Dudgeon said...

Mr. Millward--

1. "The reality is the likelihood of a citizen revolt is miniscule...." How could you, sirrah! Good and decent and sophisticated Democrats know that American narrowly avoided conquest from within via citizen revolt scarcely more than one year ago! Fortunately for the sitting administration, they left their guns, if not their fetishes, at home.

2. Your conception of the 2nd Amendment is erroneous, arguably historically but more importantly legally, in that as I suspect you know the SCOTUS not so long ago confirmed that the right to keep and bear arms is an individual right, as are not coincidentally the other rights surrounding the 2nd and explicitly codified as such in the Bill of Rights.

3. Fortunately for all of us, your conception of "police state" is similarly, er, idiosyncratic, to be charitable.

Up Close: Road to the White House said...

David Norris poses two questions:

1. How could a commenter hurt me? He couldn't with his comments. I copy them for the police file, then delete them. He could hurt me by taking actions on the wild and perverted accusations and threats he makes in the comments sent here. If I am murdered, or swatted, or otherwise put in actual danger, the police have a nice file to begin their investigation and prosecution. If the harasser gives me good cause for a lawsuit for slander or libel, again, I have a good start on evidence of a long pattern. I don't particularly want to own the person's home and financial assets, but possibly the threat of forfeiting hem will deter him.

2. I write here because I am chronicling the unwinding of the American republic, if things break badly for us. Trump isn't majority popular, but Democrats do enough self-destructive things that a majority of Americans may vote for him out of frustrations with Democrats. I consider this blog a primary source for future students, and, of course, a source of some interest and curiosity for about 2,000 current ones. Plus, I would rather do this than golf or play canasta or fish.

Peter Sage

Michael Trigoboff said...

I have a burglar alarm in my house which I set before we go to sleep, and which would go off if anyone approached our bedroom. By the time they managed to make it through the locked bedroom door, I would be ready to defend us.

The war on drugs is ridiculously stupid policy and should be eliminated. That would stop most of the no knock warrants.

Statistics show that black people are less likely to be killed by police than white people, despite BLM propaganda to the contrary.

Ed Cooper said...

It seems to me, Peter, that the unwinding is well advanced, and things broke badly for us in 2020 when President Biden failed to bring enough down ticket votersxwith him, to secure solid Majorities in either House of Congress. We are further, imho, being hamstrung by the molasses like pace of investigations and prosecution of the January 6 Insurrection. It's been 50 I'd days since Mark Meadows was referred for Criminal Prosecution to DOJ, and not a word. Moscow Mitch slammed through a SCOTUS appointment in far less time, from appointment to swearing in.
If Leadership doesn't develop a sense of urgency about the ongoing Coup d'etat, President Biden might as well go home to Delaware before the midterms.

Mc said...

Peter, let's not forget about the conspiracy nut who shot up the DC pizza parlor looking for its basement.

Then, you have the domestic terrorists who attacked the US Capitol because they believed Trump's lies.

So, yes, words do lead to violence.


Mc said...

"Statistics", yet no proof.

I can make up crap, too.

Michael Trigoboff said...

Mc,

Here are all the statistics you need.

Mike said...

Mc and Michael:

In fact, Blacks are two and a half times as likely as whites to be killed by police:
https://www.statista.com/chart/21872/map-of-police-violence-against-black-americans/

Michael Trigoboff said...

Mike,

Here’s an instructive exercise for you: compare the number you quoted with the per capita rate of crimes committed by blacks versus whites.

Let us know…