Thursday, February 24, 2022

La Bamba


"I read the news today, oh boy. . .
And though the news was rather sad
Well, I just had to laugh. . .
I'd love to turn you on.
"
            The Beatles, 1967. A Day in the Life


The news from Ukraine looks bad. We don't know how it will play out. There is good reason to worry.

We are at an inflection point. This could be the beginning of a series of events, like August 1914, that will lead to total war if one miscalculation leads to another. Or, it could just blow over. The political news in the U.S. is a mess of "could-a, should-a, would-a" in contrary directions. The situation is either overblown or a catastrophe. Putin is a genius, a villain, or doing what any prudent head of state would do. Ukraine is an innocent victim or a den of Nazis.

It exhausts me. I want to stop the world and get off--words I remember from a 1961 play by that name. The Beatles had suggested a way to retreat from the world, and young people in 1967 did so: Marijuana. Turn on. Drift off in a cloud of smoke.

Not me. I retreat my way, like Frank Sinatra sang in 1969. My way is to put on headphones and listen to music of my youth. It is my oasis, the best music of all time. Classic and timeless.  

La BambaWho can possibly listen and resist the sheer joy of it? Take two minutes for Richie Valens' own voice:

I was mistaken. I sent a link to the song to a 17-year-old, sure she would love it. The song was nothing to her. I re-discovered the obvious. Music is not timeless. Music lives in the temporal world along with the news, oh boy. It is fashion, like hairstyles and Levis.

Rick Millward is a close reader and frequent commenter on this blog. He is a musician, songwriter, and music producer. He gave me a lesson.


Guest Post by Rick Millward


Popular songs resonate with us for two main reasons:
Repetition and marketing
Context and timing
 

Rick Millward
First, songs gain success through “spins”, initially on radio and now on the various streaming internet sources. Thousands of songs are released into the market every week, and those that gain popularity usually have big promotion budgets and campaigns financed by the record companies. With the onset of adolescence young people start making choices, in a large measure driven by a desire to become seen and respected as distinct individuals, but also by the cultural norms at the time. Music is one of the ways that teens define their peer group, like fashion and slang, and music is marketed to them in this way. Secondly, popular music follows the overall cultural trends and songs tend to sound somewhat alike within each genre. Teens tend to associate certain songs with events in their lives, like young couples having “our song”. This emotional connection fades with maturity, but never completely disappears and in fact, hearing the song years later will often bring back a pleasant or bittersweet memory.

La Bamba was released in 1958, as the teen idol fad, led by Elvis Presley, was gaining steam. It’s a dance song, and it hit the market just as teens were adopting the “free form” styles that were a highlight of the ‘60s, like “The Twist”.

Musically, La Bamba is an electrified version of a traditional Mexican folk song played at celebrations and other gatherings. It is sung in Spanish, which gave it a unique charm and was presented by an Elvis-like young singer named Richie Valens. As such it stood out on the radio, and though it was not a number one hit, it has endured to be considered one of the most influential rock and roll songs of the era. Like most recordings at that time, it was recorded live, and while having captured the energy of the performer, is not particularly well done technically. A remake done in 1987 is more polished and was used in a biopic about Valens, and did reach #1.

It’s always dangerous to predict what young people will find entertaining and popular but in its original form doesn’t fit in with current pop music, which is dominated by the hip hop/rap style and to a lessor extent EDM (Electronic Dance Music) so it doesn’t sound like what they are listening to. In addition, coming from what is quickly becoming their grandparents' era, there is an automatic rejection of the song because it’s old. This of course could change if an enterprising artist covered the song in the current style, (which would be an interesting exercise) and released it as something new.

                                           -----     -----    -----


Note:  Rick Millward was part of the Nashville songwriter community, where he produced two EMMY nominated soundtracks. Now in Southern Oregon, Millward is part of the music scene centered around winery tasting rooms. His new record Loveland is available on Spotify and other streaming platforms. He will perform at the Naumes Winery - Sun, Feb. 27, 3-6PM



 

24 comments:

Jan and Russ said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp6j5HJ-Cok

It helped

RLS

Mike said...

The situation brings to mind "Masters of War"
Come you masters of war
You that build the big guns
You that build the death planes
You that build all the bombs
You that hide behind walls
You that hide behind desks
I just want you to know
I can see through your masks

I just wish those who think we should be doing more would be the first to go over and lead the charge, but that's not how it's done. Instead, they send other people's children.

Michael Trigoboff said...

I wonder how Mike would apply his thoughts and his song to World War II.

Low Dudgeon said...

Great topic and suggestions so far.

On the no-escape side:

More Beatles, "Back In The USSR"; Barry McGuire, "Eve of Destruction"; Pink Floyd, "Corporal Clegg".

On Side B, the escapist side:

Webb Pierce, "There Stands the Glass"; Louis Armstrong, "What A Wonderful World"; The Youngbloods, "Get Together"

Michael Trigoboff said...

Another aspect of the “music of my generation“ phenomenon: biology.

I believe that when you pass through puberty, your music sensors snap open and whatever you are hearing becomes your music. Those sensors stay open for about 20 years, and then they snap shut, which is why we older folks tend not to like the music that the young people are listening to.

I was so hip when I was young that I never thought this would happen to me. One of the many things I was wrong about when I was young.

Michael Trigoboff said...

Razom nas bahato!

Michael Trigoboff said...

May the Ukrainians do to the Russians what the Afghanis did to the Soviet Union.

Michael Trigoboff said...

This is Biden’s chance to turn his poll numbers around and display strength and decisiveness as opposed to his disgraceful handling of Afghanistan.

Malcolm said...

Ah, such nostalgia! Hace mas o menos 25 años, una mujer en mi clase del español , sus dos muchachos, y yo bailamos y cantamos La Bamba como parte de un examen. ¡Muy, muy, divertido, por seguro!

Malcolm said...

What’s the deal with a former president praising and supporting the article vile Putin? Seems kind of like treason.

Mike said...

Michael –

“I wonder how Mike would apply his thoughts and his song to World War II.”

Ah, yes – the last war we fought with anything approximating a justification. If you think this is a similar situation, why don’t you go over and volunteer?

Michael Trigoboff said...

Mike,

This is the Ukrainians’ war to fight. They are volunteering. I want us to help them.

Why don’t you cut out the obnoxious snark for a change. Are you capable of that?

Mike said...

We're helping all we should, isolating Russia and imposing sanctions. You call it snark if it doesn't agree with you, but it's just what's happening.

Michael Trigoboff said...

Mike,

I asked you how you would apply the thoughts expressed in Dylan’s Masters Of War to the current situation in Ukraine. You replied, and I quote, “… why don’t you go over and volunteer?“

That sounds like snark to me. And you certainly did not answer my question of how the thoughts in the song apply to the situation in Ukraine.

Do you have an answer to that question, or are you just coming up with longer and more passive-aggressive forms of “f*** you?”

Ed Cooper said...

Why don't you answer the question? And if you're so Gung ho to see the Ukarainian people be helped, why not go help them ?

Michael Trigoboff said...

Edc,

I am 75 years old, bad knees, bad back, not exactly combat ready. I would not be a help to them.

I am totally willing to pay a tax increase to fund any weapons shipments that they need.

Mike said...

"Masters of War" (cont'd):

You that never done nothin'
But build to destroy
You play with my world
Like it's your little toy
You put a gun in my hand
And you hide from my eyes
And you turn and run farther
When the fast bullets fly

I am totally willing to pay a tax increase to fund affordable education and health care.

Ed Cooper said...

I'm 75, bad back and knees, and I did my war in 1968 and 69.
I heard a 74 year old man in KIEV , today, being interviewed, as he was being issued an AK47, as well as one for his wife, and he was asked what he would do if he saw Russian Troops in the streets if his home. His answerceas quite pithy; "Kill Them". I hope he survives.

Mike said...

Michael –
To answer your question, Masters of War is an anti-war song that seems appropriate to me at this time. Right now, it applies to Russia, but that wasn’t always the case.

Compared to Ukraine, Russia’s military force is overwhelming. Providing Ukraine with more weapons won’t change the outcome. It might enable them to kill a few more Russians, but the Russians will kill far more of them as a result.

For the U.S. to get involved militarily would be even stupider than Vietnam and Iraq. We are doing what we sanely can, but those who want to do more are free to go. If you take that as a “f*** you,” what can I say except that you’re projecting.

Anonymous said...

Time for John Fogerty's lyrics to "Fortunate Son," the great Vietnam era song:

Some folks are born made to wave the flag
Ooh, they're red, white and blue
And when the band plays "Hail to the chief"
Ooh, they point the cannon at you, Lord
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no senator's son, son
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate one, no
Some folks are born silver spoon in hand
Lord, don't they help themselves, oh
But when the taxman comes to the door
Lord, the house looks like a rummage sale, yes
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no millionaire's son, no
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate one, no
Some folks inherit star spangled eyes
Ooh, they send you down to war, Lord
And when you ask them, "How much should we give?"
Ooh, they only answer "More! More! More!" yoh
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no military son, son
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate one, one
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate one, no no no
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate son, no no no

Mike said...

And let's not forget The Fugs: "Kill For Peace."

Ed Cooper said...

Another great Fogerty song;

https://youtu.be/OZr07AYWLSo

Mc said...

... and then what the Afghanis did to the US.

Let's not whitewash history.

Mc said...

I never liked La Bamba.

I recall Fortune Sons Dan Quayle, George Bush and Dick Cheney..