Sunday, September 10, 2023

Easy Sunday: Short Form Video

I tried something.

I made a one-minute video version of a blog post


https://youtu.be/nQ3lA3vG1gU

I uploaded it to Twitter and TikTok. I have reservations about that. I am told that TikTok somehow helps China, as if they spy on us in a way that everybody else doesn't, including my cars. I long thought that Twitter -- now X -- was toxic, full of anger and misinformation. It is worse, now.

I attempt a tone of fair-minded reasonableness in my blog posts. Op-Ed-length written words lend themselves better to reasoned thought than to outrage. Outrage and indignation are communicated by tone of voice. My blog post readership plateaued at about 3,000 impressions between Blogspot and Substack e-mails. I wondered if I would draw new readers with video. Apparently about 700 new people saw my video post on TikTok within 30 minutes. I liked that. Apparently people engaged with it. I quote one comment exactly: "Your an idiot." 

Viewers might notice that I amped up a tone of anger and indignation in the video. They are what draw people in. Trump uses this, as does cable news. Biden doesn't. Nor does the NY Times and Washington PostI may not pursue this direction. We have ample numbers of angry people sharing outrage using video. It may be what the public likes and watches, but it isn't what political discourse in America needs.

American democracy is going through a rough patch, and it might get even worse. I write so I can better understand it. I want people who see the world very differently from me to read my posts. They would be put off by indignant outrage. They might give me their attention if I sounded respectful.

I have this crazy idea that my blog posts should be a tiny force for good in the world. 



 [Note: To get daily delivery of this blog to your email go to: https://petersage.substack.com and subscribe. The blog is free and always will be.] 



8 comments:

Dave said...

It is a force of good Peter.
As far as anger goes, it is an addiction for some. It makes one feel powerful, you get an endorphin kick just like the runners high. The lawless Trump supporters feel strong, untouchable. I’ve known inmates who used anger as their weapon of choice successfully until they overused it. Then they were locked down, let out of their cage one hour a day and put in leg irons and handcuffs when being moved anywhere. Anger lost its appeal to those guys.

Mike Steely said...

What draws people to video is sex, violence and cute kittens. When all you’ve got are talking heads, what they say has to be pretty steeped in controversy to grab any attention. Thus all the anger, lies and manufactured outrage.

How prescient this quote was in 1947:
“In the war to come correspondents would assume unheard of importance, plunging through flame to feed the public its little gobbets of dehydrated excrement.”
― Malcolm Lowry, Under the Volcano

Ed Cooper said...

Your Blog is the first thing I read every morning with my coffee, which I will continue to do, as I don't do TikTok, have never had a Twitter, and don't need the bile produced on those various sites. The comments on this blog are often apparently well thought out and provoke thinking, even changes, instead of pointless anger. So, I'll continue to open the Blog, as longcas you choose to produce it. Thank you, Peter.

Anonymous said...

Americans have been advised to avoid Tik Tok. I don't mess with it. Never have and never will.

Ed Cooper said...

Anonymous; a very good friend has taken to sending me stuff on TikTok, which I just delete. I miss conversing with my friend, but have no desire to eavesdropping on by some Red Army shill.

Mike said...

“I want people who see the world very differently from me to read my posts. They would be put off by indignant outrage. They might give me their attention if I sounded respectful.”

Peter: I’m not sure what you meant by this. All of us see the world very differently, based on our unique blends of knowledge, experience, personality, environment, etc. Many of us agree on various aspects of our common reality, such as election outcomes and significant changes in the climate, but others don’t. I seriously doubt if those who don’t will give you their attention, no matter how respectful you sound. But if you are able to get through to any of them, it would be a force for good in the world to share how.

Ed Cooper said...

Re-reading your post just now, I had to go back and witness your "amped-up tone". I should be so fortunate if amped-up tone of anger was that diplomatic. Keep up yhe good work, Peter.

Michael Trigoboff said...

Your blog is my first read of the day. I appreciate what you do.