Thursday, September 14, 2023

Advice to Biden: Challenge Trump to a duel.

Call Trump's bluff.

Donald Trump challenged Biden to a public test of physical and mental fitness. Trump walked into a trap. 

Joe Biden should accept the challenge, promptly and very publicly. Offer to meet right now, this week, shirtless and in shorts, for a fitness duel. A showdown. Test ability to do chin-ups and sit-ups. Add a test of flexibility by a test of touching one's toes. Add a cardiovascular-style treadmill test.

Humiliate Trump. 

Joe Biden has a problem. People think he looks old, weak, and mentally diminished. Voters across the board see it and worry about it. Biden has been trying to address the issue by minimizing it, deflecting to calling it "experience." That approach isn't working.

The solution to a bad body-language message -- Biden is old and frail -- is another better body-language message. Biden doesn't need to look young. He just needs to look more fit than Donald Trump.  

I don't know the facts on Biden's physical and mental condition. I know what I see. I see a slender man of 80 who walks carefully, in the manner of people worried about falling, which comes across as feeble. But I read that he works out for an hour every day. He certainly appears to care of himself. I am guessing he can do a few chin-ups and more than a few sit-ups. I am pretty sure he can touch his toes; he does not have a stomach in the way.  I know he can ride a bicycle.


My photo, November 2019. Erect. Fit. 

I don't know the real facts on Trump's physical health, either. I know what I see. Trump generally looks solid and comfortable standing at a lectern. A dark blue suit covers up flaws. His trademark extra-long red tie covers his midsection. He pretends to weigh 215. I know he plays a lot of golf, and that he uses a golf cart. He is confident enough about his health to make the challenge, but I am sure he does not want to appear in public shirtless, and I am confident he would struggle mightily to do chin-ups, sit-ups, touch his toes, or walk any distance uphill.

There are lots of altered photographs of both Biden and Trump circulating on the web, which is why I used one of my own of Biden. The one below of Trump with Brett Favre is from a Reuters report on altered photos. They used this one to illustrate an example of an un-altered one.


I think Biden would easily win the contest of physical fitness measured by tests to lift one's body weight or flexibility. People who work out for an hour every day do cardio work, and my money would be on Biden for the inclined treadmill test, too. 

Presidents need to know about present and past foreign alliances, the names and interests of foreign heads of state and their governments, the names and priorities of key Members of Congress, about legislative process, about U.S. laws and the Constitution. Challenge Trump to a mental test written by presidential scholars on subjects that concern the president's job. This is Biden's home turf. He has spent a lifetime in preparation for that test.

Challenge Trump. People think Biden is weak, so he has nothing to lose, but Biden would not lose. But don't worry: Trump won't accept the challenge

Trump will not want to risk losing and he won't want to appear shirtless in public. Biden could badger Trump to put up or shut up. Turn the subject from Biden's weakness into Trump's refusal to prove up. Trump's substantial political base enjoys seeing Trump-the-bully dominate his opponents. He comes across as fearless and indomitable, whether he is grabbing women, humiliating political opponents, or claiming Mexico will pay to build a wall. They like his swagger. But there is something else a great many people enjoy seeing. People like seeing bullies put back in their place by the scrappy little guy who accepts a challenge. We enjoy seeing the bully shown to be a fraud.

This is Biden's chance to change the story on "fitness for office." Trump will go from offense to defense. Biden should keep pressing. Trump understands reality TV. He knows people would watch, and they will be disappointed not to get to see the showdown. He knows he would look ridiculous struggling to do a chin-up, losing to Biden.

Accept the challenge, Joe.


                                                   ---   ---   ---


Once again I am experimenting with a short video version of this post, which I upload to social media sites, where they appear to get about a thousand views.  I welcome suggestions from readers.

https://youtu.be/O00FfzrvYYQ





[Note: To get daily delivery of this blog to your email go to: https://petersage.substack.com and subscribe. The blog is free and always will be.]



11 comments:

Rick Millward said...

While you are probably right, I don't see the upside for the President. In fact, the challenge from Trump is completely bogus; he knows Biden won't respond.

Two points:

1. Accepting a silly challenge like this would be acknowledging the validity of the frame, which is irrelevant to the duties of the office.

2. Biden has a higher bar to get over in order to "win" and since a stunt like this is unlikely to change any votes it's not worth the risk.

The biggest problem for an older person is the likelihood of a sudden debilitating injury or illness and both men are equally vulnerable.

Also the spectacle has a high "ick factor". I'd rather go all the way - mud wrestle cage match. Now that's something I'd watch.

Anonymous said...

Elon Musk challenged Mark Zuckerberg to a cage fight. Another brilliant idea.

Mike Steely said...

Oh no, anything but shirtless! But before any competition, they should also have to be weighed and measured. Trump’s self-reported height and weight is 6’3” and 215 lbs, but he looks like a big fat liar.

The other thing they should do is take a cognitive test to determine how alert and oriented they are. One of the standard questions is to have them name the president.

Up Close: Road to the White House said...

I am open to posting comments that accuse me of substance abuse and mental illness, but only by people who sign their comments with their own names.

Anonymous said...

That is fine if you don't want to publish what readers *really* think.

Anonymous said...

You have been singing the same anti-Biden tune since the Democratic primaries. (You wanted the mayor of a city in Indiana.)

At the beginning of every blog about President Biden you should disclose that you did not want him to be the Democratic nominee for president. That would be truly meaningful disclosure. It would be the right thing to do

Ed Cooper said...

And Musk has had an entire team of bots fabricating excuses for not being able to actually fight Zuck.

Up Close: Road to the White House said...

Biden wasn't my first choice. I did prefer him to Bernie. I like Warren for her presentation skills and earnestness, but I saw that she did not connect with working class voters. I liked Buttigieg because he could handle himself on a stage. I was very content that support congealed around Biden. I lose track of how much money I have given Biden over the past 4 years. Something like $7,000, and probably more if one includes indirect gifts. My sense is that I am doing my share.

I don't think it works in politics to hide from problems. Biden has a age/fitness problem.

Anonymous's comments would have more impact if she signed them and if she disclosed whether she herself has the substance abuse and what psychiatric diagnosis she herself has. I suggest this because I decline to publish some of her nastier accusations.

I will increase the presumption of guilt regarding unsigned comments. I don't think it serves the public interest to publish nasty and anonymous comments.

Ed Cooper said...

Good plan, Peter.
I, for one, would pay money to see Biden carry the fight to Drumpf, but I think he is still too bound up in the "Institutionalism" mindset which he brought with him to the Oval Office; that he could deal with Republicans as though they are sane, honorable people, which they have gone to extremes ever since (at a minimum) Barack Hussein Obama gave his first Inaugyral Address.

Michael Trigoboff said...

This sounds like it would be a good political move for Biden. I suppose some might criticize it on grounds of being contrary to the dignity of the office, but in the age of Trump I don’t know if that is still a relevant concept.

Mc said...

Biden is in better shape than most Americans half his age.

I agree that he should challenge Trump to a physical fitness challenge.

I see nothing wrong with trying to get Americans to think about their health.