Saturday, June 3, 2023

Up Close Report: A vineyard in progesss

"The days of wine and roses laugh and run away like a child at play. . . ."

               Days of Wine and Roses, Henry Mancini and Johnny Mercer, 1962


Let's give politics a rest today. Let's look at vineyards. 

Vineyards aren't child's play. They are hard work.

I am part of a movement and did not realize it. I was arranging to buy 6,500 grow tubes to protect the baby grape plants that will be arriving in two weeks. I asked the manager at Oregon Vineyard Supply if I was an unusual customer. He laughed.

He said, "There are a couple dozen landowners about like you here in the Rogue Valley doing the same thing right now. People who are retired or near retirement. People who own scenic rural land. People who like the looks of grapes. People who know about wine. People who want the tax deductions. Yeah, people like you."

Lynn Watson, showing a 24-inch grow tube

I am growing eight acres of wine grapes as Plan-B for my farm. My preferred crop -- alfalfa and grain in rotation -- isn't viable on the pumice-soil portion of the family farm. The pumice was too good a habitat for gophers who love alfalfa roots.

Southern Oregon is an up-and-coming wine region. I take the news of the popularity of new vineyards as a warning that I may be part of a foolish bubble. People are putting in grapes for their "amenity value" and the favorable tax code that allows accelerated depreciation. That is a formula for over-production and an unsellable crop. Local wine people talk about Southern Oregon as "the next Napa." That is supposed to be re-assuring, but it is the opposite. Wild optimism feeds bubbles. Americans should expect to pay about $30,000 per acre to put in a vineyard, and that is on top of the land acquisition. I may be making a costly mistake.

My post back in February showed photos of the buried irrigation lines, the first step in vineyard development. Grapes in Southern Oregon need irrigation, done by drip. The grape vines will be supported by trellises. Each row has an end post, pushed or pounded 4 feet into the ground. The round metal posts are recycled petroleum drill pipes. Each 10-foot post costs about $85 each and there is one at the end of each row. It takes expensive machinery and labor to push them into the ground at a cost of about $20 each to do so.



Then, every 18 feet, I installed a support post to hold up the steel wire that becomes the trellis for each row. I used recycled posts that cost about $8 each. It cost another $5 to push them in. They are used and therefore already rusted, and I like that look. There will be about 800 plants per acre and each post will support three plants, meaning there are about 270 support posts per acre. They line up in rows in multiple directions. This makes weeding, irrigation, and harvesting easier. The posts are designed to hold wire at different heights.


Notice those notches on the sides, every six inches.  The lowest wire will be at notch number three, about 18 inches off the ground. The next wire -- the cane wire -- is two notches above that, about 30 inches off the ground. The wire slides into those notches.

Each reel of wire weighs 100 pounds, more than I like to lift, but I can do so, barely. They cost  $240 each. It has about 3,800 feet of wire. The long rows in the photos above are about 700 feet long. The tag shows the wire was fabricated in Canada from Chinese steel. The dust on the bumper shows one of the attributes of the pumice soil. When dry it is dusty.




The drip line unwinds off a spool and is laid along the trellis line in preparation for attachment to the wire.


There is a handy clip every two feet along the drip line, visible in the photo as the little black vertical bumps on the tube. The drip line attaches nearly effortlessly to the wire once one gets the technique down. It is sort of like twisting off the top of a beverage bottle while pressing the clip against the wire. Clips are two feet apart, for each of the 6,500 total plants. Doing anything 19,500 times becomes hard work. 

The drip line is a Rain Bird product. It is a private company headquartered in California. I thought I was "buying American." The drip line is manufactured in Mexico.



There are handy metal fasteners for the wires called "gripples," a bargain at only a dollar each. I buy them in containers of 200. They connect the trellis wire segments and are used at the end posts to tie off the ends. They are ingenious in how securely they hold the wire under tension, but it means one or two wires stick out and create a puncture hazard. It is hard to notice the stiff wire until it pokes you, perhaps in the eye. My weekend task is cutting off those wire-hazard ends, a chore I am doing myself because I don't want to delegate this. There are six or eight gripples for each of 200 rows, or about 1,500 gripples with one or sometimes two wires to trim off. Doing anything 3,000 times is work.

Gripple and hazard wire
The grow tubes are about a dollar each. I bought 6,500 recycled 4-foot long metal rods to press into the ground near each new plant. That will support the grow tube. Those pencil-thin rods were 75-cents each, delivered. They don't just magically appear around each plant. Someone needs to place the rods and grow tubes with enough care that the plant isn't damaged. Again, doing two little jobs 6,500 times becomes a big job.

The bare root Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Malbec plants coming mid-June cost about $5 each, delivered. They need to be planted, which involves digging a one-foot deep hole in the six-foot spacing along the drip line. Will the grapes produce great wine, or even good wine? We won't know for five years. That is agriculture. I am optimistic. The eight acres of pumice soil on my farm is unique. It is fine-grained, ground-up pumice stone. It is weirdly porous. Plant roots have an easy time extracting nutrients and flavors. Corn grown on that land was noticeably different -- superior -- to corn grown elsewhere. There is potential for the vineyard to produce something special, but who knows?

I will write about that in a future post.


Pumice soil, tilled. Like eight inches of powdered snow.


Meanwhile political life continues.  President Biden spoke from the Oval Office, DeSantis criticized the Covid vaccine, Pence is getting ready for his formal announcement, a tape recording emerged of Trump acknowledging that he had secret documents, and 339,000 new jobs were created in May.


[Note: To get daily delivery of this blog to your email go to: https://petersage.substack.com  Subscribe. The blog is free and always will be.]






10 comments:

Malcolm said...

In the late 60s and early 70s the Napa Valley was one of my stream gaging routes. I witnessed total elimination of untold numbers of well producing orchards, being replaced by vineyards, Everyone jumping on the vintner band wagon.

I faciley predicted what a bad idea this was, I assumed it would result in a disastrous glut in the market.

Several years later, I was driving to SOCAL, and made a point of cruising thru Napa Valley, just because. Imagine my surprise; wine drinking had become so popular that-in addition to even more giant vineyards, there were rows of grapes growing in most of residential Saint Helens's front yards!

I’m betting you’ll do well, Peter. Best wishes for your amazing adventure.

Mike said...

I’ve always been kind of blown away that people would pay over 20 bucks, sometimes far more, for less than a quart of fermented grape juice. On the other hand, a wine fetish is a hell of a lot better than a gun fetish.

Meanwhile political life continues. Yesterday, the wealthiest nation in the world decided to pay its bills after all. Nowadays that’s what passes for a major accomplishment. It’s kind of like an alleged adult coming out of a bathroom and saying, “Look, I wiped all by myself!”

Anonymous said...

How nice to be a gentleman farmer of the landed gentry.

Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes,
over the prairies and the deep trees,
the mountains and the rivers.
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
are heading home again.

—Mary Oliver

Mike said...

Dear Anonymous,
Do I detect a note of petty jealousy? Is "landed gentry" supposed to be derogatory? If you took the trouble to look up its meaning, you'd see that it in no way applies to Peter.

Anonymous said...

Better that you spend $250K on a vineyard instead of on Oregon Democratic Party candidates.

M2inFLA said...

I moved to Oregon in the mid 70s when the wine industry was just beginning. Ponzi, Elk Cove, and Cooper Mountain Vineyards wines helped me appreciate red wines, and I got my wife to switch to reds from whites.

At my semiannual physical yesterday, even my doctor said red wine was good for us. Those Europeans sure were on to something.

One thing I learned was something wine critic wrote years ago in the Wall Street Journal:

"The difference between a $25 bottle of wine, andone that costs $100 is $75 and marketing!"

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I am not a farmer and I don't drink alcohol or smoke dope.

But watching the evening news, I was thinking about the crop of Republican candidates visiting Iowa this weekend. Do they all think they have a good chance of winning?

I was also thinking about President Biden. Does he golf? I don't hear much about it. We are very fortunate to have a hard-working, knowledgeable, patriotic and compassionate president. He doesn't spend most of his time lying, bullying and bragging on social media, watching tv, devouring fast food and golfing.

Anonymous said...

Your doctor is relying on old information. Google it. Or maybe he or she has a drinking problem. Many people do, including doctors.

M2inFLA said...

Re: drinking red wine

Perhaps context is needed. My doctor said if we’re going to drink wine, it’s better to drink red rather than white.

In my experience, anything in excess is bad for you.

Moderation and living a healthy active life is good for me and my wife, so far.

We’re going to keep heading down this path. Plenty of things we could be doing that are a lot worse…for us.