Friday, February 2, 2018

Field Report: Governor Kate Brown in Medford

A Close Look: Governor Kate Brown does an Education event.


Kate Brown came to Medford as Oregon's governor, not as a candidate to be Oregon's governor.

The distinction between incumbent and candidate is often lost on people. This was a taxpayer-funded trip.  Kate Brown acted like a governor, not a candidate.

I just sat down on the floor next to the students
Observation 1.  The trip was not announced to the general public in advance.  It was a school event, not a "public" event.  I discovered she would be in town through a coincidental mention of it by someone who had happened to have heard something second hand.

There was no notice given to a wider circle of politically engaged public.  No notice to long time friends of Kate, not to Democrats, not to donors, not to the taxpaying public generally.  There was no pro-or-con political activity outside the event.  My having heard she was to be in town, the day before the event I used Google to find the Governor's office and her scheduling person. I got the following email: 

'Thank you for your patience as I worked to ascertain the best way to answer your question related to the Governor’s schedule in Medford tomorrow. While none of the items on her schedule are truly “public”, I’ve been asked to refer you to the Governor’s campaign staff, copied on this email."

I received an email later in the day from the campaign, saying that they were deluged by emails and couldn't respond.

Conclusion:  The "public" was not invited or welcome.

Observation 2. No one stopped me when I just showed up.

I tried to look like a responsible citizen.  I wore slacks and a blue blazer. The school gave me Visitor Pass without question.  I walked right into the auditorium and sat down along with students on the gym floor, right in front.  

Speech from the raised platform
The governor and school superintendent immediately recognized me, waved, and walked me over to a small bank of chairs to the side of the governor's dias, a place reserved for School Board members, state legislators and a couple of other dignitaries.  (I am a member of the Medford Schools Foundation Trustees, so arguably a "school person", but neither of them would know that.) Mostly I think an older guy sitting on the floor looked out of place or pathetic.

Observation 3.  Kate Brown gave a excellent speech.  She gave the pitch perfect progressive message, focusing on prosperity and opportunity.  Not grievance.

She began with a story of her own family, one that a generation ago had a dedication to "education, education, education" which allowed Kate to grow up in a household without fear of want.  "I was raised to believe that I could accomplish anything I set my mind to, all because my grandmother put my family on a path out of poverty over 80 years ago.  If you work hard and play by the rules you will have a better life for yourself and your children."

Fielding questions
Then she spoke to a broader political issue, the one this blog considers the strongest and most unifying for progressive politicians.  "As your governor, my goal is to increase economic prosperity, and to make sure that that economic prosperity is inclusive, that it touches every single community in every single corner of our state.  That everyone in our state--everyone--has a fair shot at building a better life for yourself and for your children. And to achieve this goal we have to go back to my grandmother's mantra: Education. Education. Education."

There.  She said it, a brief summary of the progressive message this blog has urged be the centerpiece of political messaging: A goal of prosperity and security for yourself and your family, by assuring everyone a opportunity to make the most of themselves. And the ladder for personal and national prosperity is gaining education and skills needed in the changing world.

After the short speech she answered questions from the students.  She left the dias and got right up close for the questions.  She moved around.  She nodded and looked empathetic.

Observation 4.  Kate Brown handled the handshaking, meet-and-greet elements with grace and enthusiasm.  As is typical after a speech of this kind, the politician is greeted by people wanting a brief word.  Brown handled this perfectly.   She smiled warmly.  She gave "good handshake," i.e. firm, leaning in.   (She is better at this than a dozen presidential candidates, indeed every one other than Chris Christy.  She is warmer.  Her eyes crinkle when she smiles.  She looks at the person. She appears to be thrilled to meet people.)   The photos give a sense of it.
Good Handshake

Observation 5.  More tomorrow.  State Senator Alan DeBoer was at the event. He handled this very well.  DeBoer was there for 90 minutes that I saw myself.  He was a witness, not the speaker.  In theater terms, he was on stage as a named character, but without spoken lines. Kate was the center of attention.  He was graceful and classy about the event.  That will be the subject of tomorrow's blog.  

Below:  Photos:
















Engagement










Good Empathy











Banter with Students















Meeting with RCC President Kemper-Pelle

2 comments:

Thad Guyer said...

Uplifting report Peter. What kinds of questions did the kids ask?

Ed Cooper said...

Interesting report, Peter. Makes me want to see more of her, because I frankly have not been too impressed with her tenure, and haven't seen a likely Progressive replacement.