Monday, March 7, 2016

Up Close in Florida

I continue in my effort to see the campaigns up close.  I try to keep my eyes open, to notice details, to observe closely and to record what I see.  Of course, that's not how most people see the events, which is my point.  I don't want just to "get an impression".  I want to see the details that create the impression.


I will be in Florida for a week, being involved in the rallies surrounding the two debates, the Democrats on Wednesday, March 9, and the Republicans on Thursday, March 10.

The debates will be at two different college campuses, both in Miami.  There will be rallies surrounding both events.   Joaquin Castro will lead a Hillary phone bank later in the week and it is widely rumored that he will be Hillary's choice for VP, if she gets the nomination.   And that weekend there will be a million people congregating for a Calle Oche event and there will be lots of political stuff happening as part of that, including some "crowd canvassing."

A Way to Watch a Democratic Debate


It is dead easy to go to the Hillary campaign website and see what activities are available for people interested in her campaign.   Simply plug in a Miami zip code and, bingo!, there are events shown:  a rally prior to the debate, some LGTB canvasing dates and times, the Joaquin Castro phone bank, the canvas of the Calle Oche attendees.

Here is the odd thing: it is much harder to see what the Sanders campaign is doing.   I go to his website, I google Bernie Sanders campaign Miami and a dozen other permutations trying to find rallies or volunteer events, and what I see is one good event, the Sanders rally prior to the Miami debate on Wednesday, a rally that will presumably be simultaneous and adjacent to the Hillary one at the same place and time.




Volunteer Recruitment done right: confirmation of my RSVP




The Republican candidates have astonishing websites--astonishing for what they do not do.   They have each opened campaign offices, and there is an address given in central Miami, but no phones, no website with events posted and opportunities to volunteer.  Really:   No phone listed anywhere.  No "contact the campaign office" button which gets you to an email address staffed by a web receptionist.   Nothing!

Volunteer Sign Up for Rubio:  no response







I am not a total neophyte with the internet and Google searches and after two hours of effort I simply plan on driving to each HQ office and talking with people.   I am baffled.   My goal is to see the candidates and see the campaign volunteers.

I cannot get information from any of them on how to do so.   Possibly the event calendar will fill up with multiple events but at this moment I will do this the oldest of old fashioned ways: I will physically go to a campaign office.  If I end up spending more time looking at Hillary's events than those of other candidates it will be in part because her campaign websites facilitate that.    The news people make comments about the Rubio and Trump ground game, saying they are less organized than Cruz's, which is why Cruz does better in the caucus states.   I can testify to that.  If I wanted to spend a day canvasing for Trump or Rubio I would not know how to do so, short of showing up at their offices.



If

No comments: