Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Update on Trump and the Obama/Muslim Question. Trump said the audience was nodding.

As the world noted, Trump did not object to the question from the guy who asserted that Obama was a Muslim.     At the time of the event on Thursday I thought Trump's non-objection was something only a clever guy like me would notice, and I attempted to make that point to the two hungry and willing media people I spoke with immediately after the event.

(There were reporters with cameras and microphones hoping to get someone to talk with them after the event.  Most people pushed past them.  I did not.   I wanted to make the point that Trump failed to do what McCain had done.    It turns out that I was not the only person to notice it.   By the time I got back to the hotel it was all over the news.)

So in my writeup on the event I noted another fact: that Trump, who is very, very attuned to his audience, sort of like a good stand-up comedy person doing audience banter very well, was not given any real "heads up" by the rowdy audience that the question was a surprise or offensive or needed to be "handled".

It has taken Trump several days to get to that point, but apparently he just did:   Here is a transcript from a Fox interview yesterday:

TRUMP: No, I don’t (know anything about him). He had a Trump, a beautiful shirt on which shows that he’s a fan. And you know, when he was asking that question, by the way, a lot of the people in the audience were nodding. They were not laughing at him or anything. They were nodding. But I don’t think he was a plant, you know, I mean certainly not from our standpoint. That would not be, that would not be the question – in fact, when that question was asked, I thought, oh, boy, that could only happen to me, alright? I knew that question was going to be a slightly controversial one. But no, I think he was a hard-working guy from the area and he had this on his mind.

Trump got to this point by a long path:
    First:   He said he didn't hear the question
   Then:  He went silent for two days
   Then:  He said via tweet that he really said nothing and he had no obligation to defend Obama
   Then:   It was a free speech issue, and he let the guy talk, unlike McCain, who took the microphone
               away from the "Obama is an Arab" person.
   Now:   The audience felt the question was okay.

My own observation was NOT that the audience was nodding and actively approving, although Trump was looking out into the audience and I was within it, looking only at the audience seated behind Trump.  What I noticed was no particular reaction, not nods.

But Trump makes my point: Trump audiences are very comfortable asserting that Obama is maybe/likely/surely a Muslim and Trump audiences question the State of Hawaii and other evidence that Obama was born in the United States.

1 comment:

Allen Hallmark said...

Good job, Peter. It must have been you who got the news media to "get" the point that Trump was comfortable letting a audience member assert that Obama is a Muslim without correcting him as McCain had done.