Monday, September 28, 2015

Small world: Pulitizer prizewinner David Kennerly was at the event

David Kennerly is from Roseburg, Oregon.   He has had a spectacular career as a photographer, starting with his photographs of Vietnam during the war there, then of American politicians for the past 40 years.  We have seen his cover photos on leading magazines hundreds of times.

We had a chance to visit at the Christie event. I told him we had met and visited when he spoke at an event held by the Jackson County Library Foundation in Medford.   He remembered the event well.   We talked about Oregon, about his photography of Gerald Ford and his having coached Ford on the correct way to say Oregon, about the joys and hassles of following politicians around,  and about his website: www.kennerly.com.

He took the photo below and sent it to me.    It captures two of the elements that I had mentioned here in my blog, Chris Christie's good manner for retail politics and his wife Mary Pat, who has been a relentless good sport, standing beside Chris, smiling and looking adoring.   I had a nice visit with my own wife, Debra, about Mary Pat's support for her husband.  We both agreed that the best I could expect would be brief flashes of pleasant smile in response to genuinely extraordinary behavior.

At the time the photo was taken I believe I was simply telling Christie that Oregon has a primary election, too, but whatever I was saying certainly did not deserve the joyful reaction I am getting from Mary Pat Christie.   But as I note, she is a real trooper.





No comments: