Sunday, May 7, 2023

Easy Sunday: Heritage

The British keep their monarchy. Americans keep their guns.

Tradition. 

Today's Easy Sunday post is a brief observation of a confluence of headlines. 

United Kingdom

The British keep their monarchy. Some love it, some don't. Some say it honors tradition going back centuries, and that is reason enough. Defenders of monarchy say it is a small price to pay because the monarchy represents the British people more profoundly and permanently than does a government subject to political tides. The government might become a tyrant and the monarchy that represents the historic state is bedrock defense against that.

United States

America keeps its guns. Some love guns, some don't. Some say gun culture honors tradition going back centuries, and that is reason enough. Defenders of the 2nd Amendment say it is a small price to pay because mass ownership of guns protects the Constitution more profoundly and permanently than does a government subject to political tides. The government might become a tyrant, but an armed citizenry that preserves the power of armed rebellion is a bedrock defense against that.

We each have century-old traditions. Some think they are long past being useful, but there is inertia. We each make our choices and pay the price.



[Note: to subscribe to the blog and get it delivered by email every day go to: https://petersage.substack.com  Subscribe. The blog is free and always will be.]



6 comments:

Mike said...

We’ve had 199 mass shootings so far this year. The U.S. has more guns per capita and more gun violence than any other developed nation. It’s only two dots, but Republicans can’t connect them – proof that their theory is correct: gun violence is a mental health problem.

Mc said...

Maybe with enough mass shootings in red states the GOPee will realize their "thoughts and prayers" are still not working.

Red states have more gun deaths per capita than blue states.

Jonah Rochette said...

Easy Sunday Pondering: what do they do with all their time, when they're not riding in a golden carriage or waving from the balcony at their adoring masses? I imagine the Kingly life to be a Royal bore.

Tom said...

Guns make you insane.

Anonymous said...

I am posting this anonymously because I don’t want to freak my friends and family out. I am a licensed and trained gun owner who lives in a state that requires a concealed-carry permit. I carry my high-powered handgun for personal protection when I go bow-hunting, because I usually hunt solo in some remote wilderness places where I have encountered bear and cougar (I carry bear spray as a first line of defense).

I do not carry in general public for two reasons: (1) Because while I’m a decent shot with a handgun at fixed target at up to 25 feet, I have no idea how accurate I would be in a high-stakes situation in public, and; (2) I’m not sure I would trust my judgement to do the right thing. I can’t imagine what life would be like knowing I killed or injured an innocent person (or people) because of my poor judgement or skill.

But something very powerful happens every time I holster my side arm. I am suddenly profoundly aware that I am carrying a lethal weapon which produces a weird sense of power and invincibility. And I subconsciously begin to look for potential threats. I thought this was just me, but the thing I notice when I’m at the range practicing, is that many people who also practice there, and who do carry in public, also have this perspective to some degree, like they are being ready for a kind of urban battlefield.

I know this is purely anecdotal, so it may not be true with the majority of those who carry. I have noticed that many of my acquaintances who carry, have a kind of nonchalant bravado in their relationships to their firearms. They assume that since I’m at the range too, I share their worldview.(Btw the Clubhouse has a poster of Trumps face on a Rambo body, and it's not considered ironic).

In my experience, carrying a gun dramatically changes my view of the world to being more hostile and dangerous than it likely is. Perhaps that’s why “wrong address” shootings are on the rise. Then I think about states where there are no requirements for carrying a gun beyond the ability to pay for it…….


Anonymous said...

The conspicuous consumption of the royal family, who are public servants, is garish. I especially detest the ugly gold carriage(s).

Kate and William seem like very good parents. They are role models for other mothers and fathers. Of course they lead very privileged lives, but there are many other privileged people who are not good role models. Their children are adorable.