Friday, April 12, 2024

Downsizing someone else's stuff

"To everything turn, turn, turn
There is a season turn, turn, turn
And a time to every purpose under Heaven
A time to gain, a time to lose"
      Pete Seeger, 1955. A Byrds hit in 1965

The New Yorker
Many Americans had deferred baby-making during the Depression and World War II. They made up for it in the decade after 1945. Thereby, the Baby Boom, and I am in it. Our generation is in our 70s now. We have been slow to give up political power. We have been slow, too, to give up material wealth. Stuff. 

Look at that refrigerator in the garage. It was probably too good to throw away, but not good enough to use. It is in that no man's land where you store things you cannot use. Maybe someday the owner could take it apart and find out why the compressor motor squeaks. Maybe it could be made into a smoker for BBQ ribs. Maybe some young family could use a gift of an unreliable refrigerator. In the meantime, store it. 

Tony Farrell is a college classmate who has written several guest posts about branding and politics. He had a long, successful career in marketing for The Sharper Image, The Nature Company, and The Gap. Tony Farrell had a rich downsizing experience. 

Guest Post by Tony Farrell


My sister-in-law died recently. Not from Covid, but in this time of Covid, I’ve discovered a way to manage my grief, and I’ll share it.

What you do is, you spend three days a week driving 150 miles, round-trip, for five months, to claw through the dust-covered detritus of a shopaholic hoarder with three hairy dogs crammed into an impassably small house whose only clean space was inside the oven -- because it had never been used. 

Grief is replaced with simmering resentment that such mind-numbing tasks were implicitly assigned to you by the dearly departed because (quite rationally) they didn’t want to do it themselves. 

In this way, grief absolutely evaporates. You’re welcome. 

When my sister-in-law passed, I was obligated to sort through an obscene quantity of shoes, boots and slippers; buckets of earrings; 70 never-used designer purses; dozens of memento totes and soft briefcases from obscure conventions and trade shows; ancient America Online printouts of emailed jokes; so many keyboards, mice and backup discs for long-forgotten software; yellowing issues of People magazine memorializing Lady Di and JFK Jr., and even Patrick Swayze.

Everywhere, I confronted more lame-brained mottos, aphorisms, proverbs, adages, axioms, maxims, dictums and platitudes than you can imagine. Perhaps ironically, an uncomfortable number involved St. Peter at the Pearly Gates: “A Cowboy’s Prayer,” “The Rainbow Bridge,” “The Dog’s Prayer.”

On four different objects were inscribed, “It’s not the number of breaths you take, but the number of moments that take your breath away”—which, I gotta say, took my breath away. 

From a woman who never exercised, we inherited four huge fitness machines—two still banded in shipping cartons. And what to do with the worst pop CD collection ever? (How much Manilow can one own?) Last month, at Black Bear Diner, I sat too close to their gift shop with shelves full of souvenir mugs; ball caps; sweatshirts; key fobs; tee shirts; earrings and phone cases. I’ll exaggerate and say I started to shake and sweat—a kind of PTSD (or Post Traumatic Stuff Disorder) brought on by my many months of drowning in piles of useless crap. 

I’ve become afflicted with a near-pathological revulsion to stuff. Thank God this didn’t happen earlier in my life: For 35 years, my career was devoted to creating and selling stuff. Now, I have only a bleak vision of where all stuff ends—like gazing at a face and seeing only a skull. 

I don’t want any more stuff in my life. It’s over. My wife Kathy and I recently celebrated her birthday and our anniversary with zero gifts. It’s fine. We’re fine.





[Note: To get daily delivery of this blog to your email go to:   https://petersage.substack.com  Subscribe. Don't pay. The blog is free and always will be.]




13 comments:

Low Dudgeon said...

Lyrics by the Book of Ecclesiastes, repurposed by Pete Seeger.

Mike Steely said...

One way to avoid becoming such a problem is to move, preferably to some place smaller. Good Will, St. Vincent’s and Habitat for Humanity will appreciate it. Also, there are businesses that dispose of the belongings of the deceased and pay themselves from the proceeds.

Mc said...

Just think of how much money she paid for all of that stuff. Money that could have been spent enjoying experiences, or leaving to charity.

And how much did she spend to store it in her house? Most of our rent/house payment is to store our stuff.

I'm now assisting in my fourth death cleanup. I've downsized a ton myself
I now don't buy anything but groceries (I also cancelled my Amazon account.)

Ed Cooper said...

I have an acquaintance here who fits the description of your sister in Law to a T. Elderly, not in good health and possessing a fairly large filled to the eaves with ”stuff”. I'm determined to get rid of as much stuff as I can over the next few months while I'm still in relatively good health. I truly do not want to leave a mess to be cleaned up.

Anonymous said...

Another blog on the same subject. Only affluent people and mentally ill hoarders (who save everything, including trash) in developed countries have this problem. People struggling to survive don't accumulate unnecessary stuff (lack of money) and they don't have the extra space to keep it.

Fact Check: The Baby Boom generation is from 1946-1964 (18 years). Many Boomers just turned 60 last year and some Boomers are still 59 years old. (Sadly, the blogger has a habit of "not seeing" and/or understanding people beyond his own limited life experience. Maybe that is why Baby Boomers sometimes are called the "Me Generation." However, I think that label only really applies to white Early Boomers, the most affluent and privileged in human history.)

Late Baby Boomers graduated from high school in 1981 and 1982.

Anonymous said...

Vice President Kamala Harris (born in 1964) and President Obama (born in 1961) are Baby Boomers.

Holly Alderman said...

Beyond mindful traveler's basics such as sunglasses, shoes, clothes, comb, soap, shampoo, tooth brushes, kitchen and dining, family albums... when one has divested 95% of stuff and it's time to chose one or two items to save, what might you recommend? Pondering joy of tennis racquet and golf clubs.

Up Close: Road to the White House said...

\
Dear Anonymous:

Thanks for reading me!!

Yes, the situation of downsizing from one's "family home" embeds a lot of privilege. It presumes that someone had a home, a family, and good health into an age at which there was no need for the space that that home had. I was a financial advisor for 30 years, so I have some experience with this, and it is a problem of the richer half of American-- the Middle Class. It presumes that the situation wasn't destroyed by early death, by disease,, or a financial setback in which downsizing was required under financial distress.

The classic Baby Boom generation were postwar babies, born from 1946 to about 1955. That is my cohort in age. Tony Farrell did very well in his career, and he wrote about his own first person experience.

From the tone and content of your comment U infer that you are younger, perhaps female, and uninterested in the problems and manners of middle class and prosperous people in their 70s. Great. Write a guest post about poor women in their 50s. Tell us about your perspective on home ownership and aging. I fully realized that some pepooole would find my blog's subjects irritating or irrelevant to their lives. If your life is not burdened by too much stuff accumulated over a long lifetime, but one of not having enough stuff accumulated over a short lifetime, then write about that. If it is interesting I will publish it.

Peter

Mike said...

Life is a trip. The less crap we carry, the more pleasant will be the journey.

Mc said...

Seems like some projection.

Mc said...

I can't wait to read her guest comment.

Mc said...

Very true

Mc said...

I'd bet that more people know the song by The Byrds.