Sunday, April 18, 2021

Double-Vaccinated and Mask Free

Free at last, free at last. I have had my two shots and waited two weeks.


There are new social norms being created. 


I believe in vaccines, and I now feel entirely differently about COVID. Before, I was at risk of dying and infecting others. I was worried. Now I am not. 

I don't imagine COVID vaccination-safety as a continuum of greater and smaller risks.  I think of it as a light switch, on or off. 

Now I am off. I am safe now.

Mask Free
In early childhood I had whatever vaccines are given to young children, including smallpox. Millions used to die horribly from it; now they do not. They are vaccinated. Early in my youth I stood in a fast-moving line along with my parents and siblings, and walked into the Hedrick Junior High gymnasium, approached a large tray of sugar cubes, picked one up and put it in my mouth, and left the room and walked home. Before, I was at risk of polio, something my parents said was very, very bad. Now I was safe, they said, and I could go swimming at the local pool. There was a payoff.

I happily wear a mask at Costco, the neighborhood grocery store, and a farm-hardware store, still the primary public indoor places to which I go. I did finally get a professional haircut last week, and wore a mask throughout it. The mask models good behavior. It is the rule of the stores and the direction of the government, plus it is polite and respectful to others. I am 71 and vaccinated but not everyone has qualified for the vaccine under Oregon's priority rules. Therefore, there are people at risk of getting the disease who are counting on the general public to help protect them by mask-wearing. We have an obligation to them.

It is important that mask-wearing be normalized. If half the people walk around mask-free because they are vaccinated, then mask-wearing becomes inconsistent, which communicates the idea of voluntary-haphazard-unnecessary. No one says aloud that inconsistent equals voluntary-haphazard-unnecessary, but that is the body language signifier, the unspoken message of what is acceptable behavior.

Until everyone who wants a vaccine can be vaccinated, I consider mask-wearing in public the right thing to do. Not everyone agrees. Ted Cruz in the Senate, Jim Jordan in the House of Representatives, and Tucker Carlson on Fox all dismiss this as mere "performative" and "theater." They call it liberal virtue-signaling, and argue that mask-wearing after vaccination removes the incentives for vaccination. Moreover, they consider it a signal that Democrats, the public health profession, and Dr. Fauci are really motivated by the desire to control and regulate; they hate freedom. Therefore, they reject mask-wearing after vaccination as flag waving by the blue team, and they are on team red, the freedom team.

Jordan: "When do Americans get freedom back?"
They have a point. It is indeed performance and theater. That is also my point.  Performance and theater are how people communicate right and wrong. It is a version of the "broken window" argument for crime reduction, an idea widely circulated on the political right. Attention to small crimes demonstrates a social norm that crime is not acceptable behavior. It is street body-language. Mask-wearing is performance demonstrating that the COVID epidemic is still with us, and that the vulnerable  public is counting on all of us. COVID is real. I have spoken with people who became deathly ill from it--immobilized for a week--and are still weak and easily fatigued a month later. (I don't know anyone personally who got it and subsequently died.) Since there are still significant risks of the disease spreading--even if not to me personally--the polite thing to do, the lawful thing to do, to protect the unvaccinated.

When a small group of vaccinated people get together, there can be a different set of performances, an agreement by the people in the group that, hurray!, we are all vaccinated and masks can come off. That is the new social norm, too. 

A third social norm is apparently taking place, mostly out of my sight--people are ignoring use of masks and distancing, whether vaccinated or not. It is showing up in rising caseloads of new variants.

Apparently some 20% of Americans tell pollsters that they have no intention of getting vaccinated. They say they aren't worried about getting the disease and apparently aren't worried about spreading it. This is a group heavily skewed toward White Republican Evangelical Christian Trump supporters. They consider vaccinations some mixture of unnecessary, dangerous, or a submission to their political opponents. For now, I hope they continue to mask-up in public.

My own sense is that in another 90 days or so, everyone who wants the vaccination can have it, and therefore the government guidance and social norms will evolve. The masks will come off everyone because the general understanding will be that everyone will have had a chance to protect oneself. Some people will get the disease and die from it, but the responsibility will have shifted from public health to individual choice.



5 comments:

John C said...

Watching Jordan questioning Fauci was like a guy being asked “when did you stop beating your wife?” Fauci didn’t fall for it. Jordan was couching his question as being all about “liberty and freedom” as though that is the only issue on the table. It was purely political theater for Jordan, but unfortunately it creates the primary narrative for his followers.

Anonymous said...

I remember a lyric "Freedom is a name for nothing else to lose." Puzzle me this, why to people living here feel they are losing their freedom? As a recent visitor from Switzerland stated without reservation "America is the freest society I know." To what are they making the comparison? Perhaps it's the itching power applied daily by right and left media that keeps us in a constant state of agitation.

Rick Millward said...

Darwin rules!

We are a more intelligent species (generally) because smarter humans avoided the tigers, lived to reproduce and so on.

And so on...

Equating public health caution with losing freedom is as dumb as it gets so my guess is Republicans are merely pandering to the base to raise money. Nothing else makes any sense. Seat belts, car seats, motorcycle helmets, speed limits and stop signs infringe on your freedom too.

Your personal choice conclusion may happen, but I think it's just as likely we'll migrate to a vaccination mandate, so watch the fur fly then!

Anonymous said...

Previous anonymous misremembered the lyric. "Freedom is another word for nothing left to lose." All she had left (besides a dirty needle) was to hold someone close to her. Someone she loved. Those who can no longer do that, in Janis' spirit, have lost everything important. There are people over the last year who died never again feeling a human touch. Not allowed to see their family. Not allowed to see those close to them.

Now we are being told that to get that freedom back we just need to trust the government and for-profit media and untested vaccines. Back when I was a liberal Democrat I would have done neither of those things. I like my medication to be like my city water. Maybe not perfect but tested, reliable, and cheap supported by decades of improvement.

Rick Millward seems like the first guy who would head over to the Better Baby building for an assessment. He'd be front of the line praising Dr. Bell hoping to catch his good eye. He doesn't seem to understand that humans made it quite far in history before vaccination programs, which I am okay with, while ignorantly ignoring the antibiotic crisis that will assuredly mirror itself in vaccines with the advent of super virii such as COVID. He is content to see himself on the "correct" side of history and that's fine, albeit smug.

So get vaccinated if you want. Don't think for a minute your virtue translates into long term human success though. No real scientist can assure that. Vaccination against COVID won't save humans. It might save YOU from the current strain and maybe a runny nose, but it is quite the messiah complex to extrapolate that into a 30 year investment in saving 10 billion people.

Ralph Bowman said...

Come out of the closet, anonymous, and state your name. Be counted as those who wish to create a new variant so that our vaccination falls to protect and we arrive at the endless booster , money making scheme. I have two friends who are dead by Covid pus in the lungs. Go find a dead friend and their loved ones. You can do that much before you make strange conclusions about a desperate situation.