Friday, September 11, 2026

A meet-and-greet event for Denise Krause on Sunday

My wife and I are holding an event on Sunday afternoon for Denise Krause, candidate for state Senate.

People will arrive. I don't know how many -- I am guessing 50 -- but I am OK with the uncertainty. More is better.

People don't RSVP to political events anymore. That's OK, too. 

I have made no secret of my hope that a good, reasonable Democrat holds onto the Oregon state Senate seat being vacated by Jeff Golden.  

Denise Krause won a contested primary, and in doing so,  made some Democrats unhappy with ads that said that politicians in Salem had not solved problems. That seemed to some Democrats like criticizing her own team, since Democrats currently have a majority in state offices and the Oregon legislature. I don't consider her criticism disloyal to fellow Democrats. Democrats in Salem could use some shaking up, and the best way to do it is by a Democrat who wins in a downstate district despite an avalanche of Republican advertising. That gives her credibility.

Krause wants to be a change agent in Salem, and that requires calling out things that need fixing in a Democrat-majority state. It means that the centers of Democratic money and orthodox policy have had to endure her criticism. For example, I have heard her say it was a mistake a decade ago for Oregon to cut the regional colleges like Southern Oregon University out of a state system of higher education. SOU did not screw up. It was set up to fail, and other regional colleges are next in line. This steps on toes of those who thought that was a great idea, including supporters of Oregon's flagship universities. 

I don't know her Republican opponent, Brad Hicks, except by observation. I don't doubt that he is a "nice person" and is earnest in his desire to "do a good job" as he sees it. But once again the state's Republican juggernaut is pouring a million dollars into a campaign to add to the Republican team. Republican candidates can pretend independence, but dare not exercise it. It is Trump's party on issues that interact with the national government, and dozens of issues do, including  Medicaid funding, election districting and certification, mail balloting, reproductive rights, immigration enforcement, forest management, and many more.

As Trump said this week: "I'm asking you to pretend I am on the ballot." 

I feel sorry for Republican candidates because I understand their dilemma. If Trump cares about the issue, Republican officeholders need to be Trump-compliant or else they get squashed like Mike Pence. Or like Reps. Thomas Massie and Adam Kinzinger; or Senators John Cornyn, Thom Tillis, and Jeff Flake; or the Indiana state senators who tried to buck Trump on his gerrymander demand. It is why Republicans who could stop the pay-to-play corruption instead are silent as Trump collects some $2 billion in payments in tribute by foreign countries and American businesses. It is why my congressman, Republican Cliff Bentz, did not dare say aloud at a Rotary meeting a single thing he disagreed with Trump about. He was being cowardly, yes, but he was exercising survival instinct. 

Denise Krause's invitation says "RSVP optional, but helpful." That is a polite way to negotiate the consistent pattern in local political events that people are unreliable about RSVPs. I don't mind not having an advanced count of people. I urged Denise to invite as many people as possible, and I am doing so as well, right now. Why not? I have a microphone and audio system; seating and good food for 50 or 60; and standing room and a variety of beverages for hundreds.   

She has invited people to ask hard questions. I hope they do. Tough questions are good preparation for the million dollars worth of ads that Republicans are spending to sink her campaign. She will stay until all the questions get answered.



[Note: To get daily delivery of this blog by email go to Https://petersage.substack.com. Subscribe. The blog is free and always will be.]


No comments: