Sunday, February 12, 2023

Easy Sunday: Super Bowl

I have no idea who is playing in today's Super Bowl.


It is Sunday morning, 6:00 AM Pacific Time. I know the game will be played sometime this afternoon. I don't know by whom, or where, or who is in the halftime show. 



I will watch a little of the game because my wife will be watching it. I am pretty sure Tom Brady isn't playing this year because I heard somewhere that he is both retiring and divorcing, and if he were playing I probably would have heard something about whether this will affect his playing. That is the extent of my knowledge.

I use the Super Bowl as a way to get understanding of American politics. Many people pay attention to politics the way I pay attention to professional football. They know elections are a "thing" that others get excited about, but they don't. I will watch some of the game only if someone makes it very convenient for me, for example if it is showing on the TV in the office where I write this. A family member essentially makes the difference between whether I see some of the game or not. In politics some people get dragged to the polls and they vote the way the person who dragged them suggests. If Debra tells me she is cheering for the Cowboys or Colts or Rams or whoever is playing, then I will go along. Why not?

The Super Bowl helps me understand people who vote for president and then leave the rest of the ballot blank. I barely care enough to watch a little of the game. No way I will watch it all. 

Some years people ask me who I am cheering for. They seem surprised that I have no preference. I am not "undecided." I don't know and don't care. The world will stumble along the same way whoever wins the Super Bowl, so why should I care who wins? I think politics matters a great deal to the future of the world, but I know many people think it doesn't matter much either way. Football helps me understand those people.

I don't think who I cheer for will change the outcome of the game, so why bother picking a side? Many people don't think their vote has any real chance of changing the outcome of the election, so why bother picking a side and voting?

Politics is football, without the halftime show, and with worse ratings.

[Note: To get daily delivery of this blog to your email go to: https://petersage.substack.com Subscribe. The blog is free and always will be.]





11 comments:

Bilbo said...

“The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.” Peter, politics becomes interesting as spectator sports when the process and human emotions are highlighted. Take us to the locker room after and let us smell the bruises, sweat, and champagne (or tears). For some, all that will matter at tomorrow’s water cooler is the score, or the memed replay of the move that turned the tide.

Me, I like the Ducks. They have great uniforms. That’s all I know. And if you think about it, that’s how much thought most put into voting.

Rick Millward said...

HINT:

"The total marks a 61 percent increase from the previous record set in 2022, when more than 31 million Americans said they would place a bet. This year, adults plan to bet $16 billion on the game — more than double last year's estimate of $7.6 billion. America is changing faster than ever!"

Mike said...

Football teams are owned by billionaires. The average NFL salary is $2.7 million. Yet somehow they con cities into coughing up taxpayer dollars to build their stadiums. They then charge those taxpayers another $200 or so to come to the stadiums they paid for in order to watch a bunch of multimillionaires play games.

To the extent that it’s a con job, I can see how politics resembles football. Based on the behavior of many politicians, they must also have a comparable number of brain injuries.

Dave said...

82 of the top 100 most watched tv in 2022 were NFL games. As an avid Seahawks fan, I still care a little even though Seattle is not in the game. It is reality tv with unexpected outcomes. It is the only time I will watch commercials as sometimes they are pretty interesting and certainly cost a lot to be aired. This year no crypto advertisements. I see it as American culture that binds us. On the parking lots at the golf course it is a safe thing to say to a stranger “Go Hawks.” And when someone says it to me, I think that person must be someone to like as after all they are a Seahawks fan.

Michael Trigoboff said...

I am with Peter. Is football the one with the pointy ball and they crash into each other? Or is it the one where giant guys bounce the ball as they run?

I watch politics the way football fans watch the Super Bowl. There are teams I root for (the National Normies) and teams I root against (The Washington Woke). I get really happy when my team wins…

Ed Cooper said...

Well said, although mind-boggling. Goes to show how P.T.Barnum was right.

Ed Cooper said...

Real football is the one where a bunch of people sans helmets and armor use only their feet to move the round ball around the field of play, and perhaps kick it into a goal net at one end or the other.

Anonymous said...

I don't care about football or any professional or college sports. I really don't care about high school sports, either. What irks me if when the media treats the players and coaches as if they are important people. They are Not. So Stupid.

Mike said...

No-one can beat the Trumplican bigots. They're going to win so much they'll get bored with winning.

Mc said...

Did you mean "whining" because they do a lot of that.

Mc said...

Agree. These people are entertainers. Very highly paid entertainers.