Sunday, May 22, 2022

Stuff: "Keepers" and "throwers"

Some people like to keep stuff. "It might come in handy someday." They are keepers.

Some people like to de-clutter. They are throwers.


I am helping a friend downsize his home. It means stuff has to be discarded. The husband is a "keeper" and the wife is a "thrower," so the situation is bad but not extreme. They live in a very nice neighborhood. They put stuff out onto their lawn alongside the street and put a sign on it: "FREE." It all disappeared within a day. People wanted their stuff.

By coincidence, someone else sent me this joke:


I am a thrower, but I am married to a keeper. I get the joke.

There are categories of stuff.

   1. Stuff we need and use, like this computer I am typing on. This includes seasonal stuff that is put away.

   2. Stuff we sometimes use, because we own it. This is the slightly-less-comfortable chair in rooms we don't go into very often and the back-up coffee maker that we have put away because it works great, but we have another one we like better.

   3. Keepsake stuff, like old photos and impractical wedding gifts like silver coffee servers. We put these things away safely on shelves and in boxes. We want those.

  4. There is stuff we happily throw away, like shattered glassware and packaging from Costco. We put these into the trash for weekly pickup.

  5. Then there is the Zone of Contention. This is stuff the thrower wants to discard and stuff the keeper wants to keep. This is stuff that isn't good enough to use but is too good to throw away. These include clothes you would never wear, even to do a sloppy painting job. These include a bedside lamp that is attractive, but it has a fussy on-off switch. It is usable, but we don't like it, so we store it. These include leftover building materials. 

The Zone of Contention is finessed in long term marriages between keeper and thrower by having space. You kick the can down the road to the heirs. What do you do with 11 perfectly good leftover bricks that match the brick on the new patio wall? If you ever need a brick you could buy it easily and inexpensively. But throw away 11 good-as-new bricks? This is what garages are for, then on-site storage sheds when the garage is full, then $70/month storage units, then second homes for category-2 furniture and storage sheds for category-5. 

People my age--72--face the simple reality that sometime soon we won't need stuff at all. We will be dead. We stay put in houses because we cannot bear to part with stuff, especially the stuff in category-2 and category-3. Category-1 stuff would fit nicely in a one or two bedroom retirement facility. My son might want the photo of Debra, me, and Barack Obama because my son is in the photo. There is no way he wants the four-by-seven-foot painting of me in a business suit looking like a financial advisor. The portrait is too big to hang, too big to move, too big to own, and worthless to sell. It is a snapshot of my life, not his.

This is a political blog, so I will make a tiny political point. There is a housing shortage. This house could be lived in by a big, bustling family with teenagers, which was my circumstance when I bought it. But I like the house I live in and the walls here are big enough to display the family portraits I have accumulated over the years. I don't want to give them up. I am staying put. Plus I have 11 bricks in the storage shed that could come in handy.


[Note: To get the blog daily by email go to https//petersage.substack.com Subscribe. The blog is free and always will be. You can always un-subscribe.]



11 comments:

Mike said...

In the early 70s, traveling by train in India, I saw notices posted by the railway: "Less luggage, more comfort, make travel a pleasure." It struck me as a good motto for the journey through life.

Rick Millward said...

There was, maybe still is, a reality show where homesteading novices were tracked for a season as they prepared for winter, canning food, chopping wood, etc. At the first snow they were rated as to whether they had done enough to survive the winter.

Some hadn't.

We are biologically wired to gather. Our modern world provides unlimited opportunities to keep stuff.

Without the keepers the throwers wouldn't make it to Spring.

Dave said...

Had an item sitting on a garage shelf that had gone through one move and had the sat on the shelf for 7 years. I took it to the dump in the morning. That afternoon my wife asked about that item if I had seen it as she was going to use it. I had to confess. Storage units are highly profitable I’m told. I’m betting a lot of people will be able to relate with this one Peter. I sure can😏

Joe Yetter said...

Ha! I am on the hoarder end of the keeper spectrum. My wife tends to be fairly ruthless in discarding unused stuff, all the more so because she recently had to do a post-death cleaning for a parent. I have not looked at my diplomas and certificates for at least 20 years; they are in boxes, covered with dust. A couple days ago, I went through some veterinary records from our Rottweiler who died years ago, and I couldn't bear to part with even her rabies certification, let alone her collar and tags. In our closet, I have stored the photo albums that my mother lovingly assembled from before World War II until her death. I can't bear to throw them away. That is going to be someone else's problem, and I'm sure they will be gutsier than I am.. Who isn't?

Dave Norris said...

To Peter et al,

The more things you own, the more things own you.

Michael Trigoboff said...

You left out a category:

* Items that could conceivably be useful for some currently unknown purpose, but would be impossible to buy.

I had an insulated cup that broke. The handle was intact, and it was a uniquely shaped piece of black plastic. “This could be useful someday,“ I thought to myself. My wife, who would happily throw away almost everything I own if I let her, said, “Oh come on, you’ll never need that.“ But I kept it anyway.

A few years later, I reconfigured my home recording studio and needed a new place for a pair of headphones. That cup handle popped into my mind, and I realized I could fasten it upside down in to a speaker stand where it would make a perfect hook to hang the headphones on. So I did it, and it provided a perfect opportunity to say “I told you so“ to my wife, which is how I got in trouble that day.

John C said...

This reminds me of we are all shaped by our economic experiences.

My boss from my first office job (40 years ago) told me his first job was working on the Grand Coulee dam during The Great Depression. Most readers here know people from this generation. I once commented to Jack about how he seemed to dress the exact same way every day: crisp white shirt and striped tie, dark blue slacks, and black cap-toed oxfords. He told me that it was a matter of simplicity, efficiency, and harmony in his marriage. He explained, besides not needing to burden himself with choosing what to wear each day (simplicity), he also said he could get dressed in the dark, so he saved money on electricity (economy) and he didn’t need to bother his wife, Hilda (harmony). Win-win-win.

Years earlier he had taken advantage of a warehouse shoe sale at Sears, calculating how many pairs of shoes he would need until retirement. He bought them. He drove the same 1967 Dodge Dart until he couldn’t drive anymore. He passed away at 99 – ‘quite happily’ according to his obituary.

Looking back, I have to admire his clear-eyed, practical view of personal economics and the discipline to live them out. He was able to survive and even thrive at a historical time when many people suffered impoverishment, and like many in his generation, he was careful of what he acquired and what he threw away.

Anonymous said...

When you lose everything due to natural disaster, fire, war or economic catastrophe (such as on the Canadian sitcom Schitt's Creek), you learn what is really important and it is not a lot of stuff.

When I was forced to drastically down-size, I made a rule that I was getting rid of everything unless I had a very good reason to keep something. So getting rid of everything was the default, instead of what asking myself what to get rid of. It worked well for me.

SteveJ. said...

Peter is right on about marriage, save or throw..
Than, as another commenter remarks, along comes a natural disaster.
which makes the whole discussion moot. So my wife and I would rather have used Swedish death process or even Maries program, But after 50 plus married years Almeda gave us no choice. It's amazing how much we can do with out replacing stuff. We are thankful that we can make those choices. So many of the lost can't make those easy choices. Let's all make choices to support the agencies that are helping.

Ralph Bowman said...

My step daughter read somewhere . Put everything you own in storage units. Then through the year take out only what you need. At the end of the year throw everything away you didn’t touch. No one could do that. Your kids would want something you left behind .
Not much, pictures of themselves not their siblings. Who wants anything in your computer or the pictures on your cellphone? Maybe one showing of the home movies on a dvd you transferred from Super 8 or VHS. DVD? THE PLAYER IS NOT HOOKED UP.
Good Will will get your stuff someday, they don’t want your coat hangers nor your magazines nor your underwear.. landfill your ultimate last journey just after your cremation.

M2inFLA said...

When we moved from our 4500 sq-ft home in Oregon to our 2000 sq-ft home in Central Florida, we gave most everything away - friends, Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity, and several other charity organizations. Sold my Star Trek - The Next Generation pinball machine to the same guy I bought it from 20 years earlier; for more than I originally paid! Also sold my John Deere.

My Oregon home sold in a day, so there were some things we needed to pack up and ship to Florida in 3 large PackRat pods. Here in Florida, I'm still sorting thru same of that. Have have given more to Goodwill and Habitat. Neighbors helped me conduct two garage sales; donated the proceeds to the local Middle/High School Track Club.

My wife tells me I still have clutter to get rid of, and she is right. Donated lots of computer equipment to friends and Goodwill - yes, worked in high-tech for 40+ years. Got rid of DVDs, cables, computers, laptops, etc.

It's time consuming to get rid of some items; tech gear has to be checked out to make sure all personal information has been removed; sometimes better to destroy and then trash. Lots of that gear is simply too old to be useful.

In my retired life, it seems I am no longer in the accumulate mode; that's a relief!

This year, I think the remainder of my unneeded/unused "stuff" will disappear. A few rarities may show up on eBay.