Friday, September 17, 2021

Covid breakthrough. An UpClose Report

Breakthrough cases can happen. 


Vaccination probably saved his life.


Christopher Drayton
A Guest Post report from the front lines of the COVID war. 

Christopher Drayton, age 67, a resident of Minnesota, reads this blog. He was a former client from back when I was a Financial Advisor. He fits the demographic of the people least likely to get the disease because he is vaccinated, COVID conscious, highly informed about infection control, and he was able to arrange his life in a way to minimize contact with people likely to be infected.

He got it anyway. 

Chris Drayton is an exception. Few vaccinated people get a serious breakthrough case. But as this blog noted a week ago, much of public opinion on COVID comes from learning the personal experiences of people who have the disease and who then tell people about it. The people who do the talking are the survivors. For a great many people, COVID symptoms are mild. Sometimes they aren't. Christopher Drayton had the disease and this is his story.


Guest Post by Chris Drayton


A little about me.

I am retired but for many years I managed biopharmaceutical and immunodiagnostics engineering. I understand contamination controls on a deeply practical level, masks, airflow, turbulence, HVAC systems, exposure length, and particle concentration. I have tried to identify and minimize risk where I could in my daily activities.

My career included 35 years of manufacturing, engineering, R&D, supply chain management in biopharmaceutical, medical device and diagnostics industries. I’ve been responsible for design, validation, and operations for aseptic filling of IV injectable biologics. I completed the schematic design of a veterinary vaccine production facility as a consultant. I was a member of a Phase 3 clinical trial design team for an anti-rejection biologic for organ transplant patients. 
In March I was vaccinated with two doses of the Pfizer BioNTech vaccine. 

I think I’m in pretty good shape for my age. I play basketball outside in the summers and have no general physical limitations. I am 67 and have asthma and a history of respiratory infections, though it was under good control and have had no infections for the past seven years. Because of that history I kept up most of the pre-vaccination precautions I had been practicing. Still, after vaccination, I partially came out of isolation. I was excited to be able to have dinner with old (vaccinated) friends.

Then three weeks ago, on a Tuesday, I started feeling the familiar symptoms of a sinus infection, facial pain and a developing cough. I thought I understood what was happening. After all, I was vaccinated and have felt this way before. By that Friday my temperature was up to 103.4. I was coughing. It was continuous and severe. Every cough hurt my head like being smacked with a hammer. This was unusually bad, but I had had respiratory infections in the past and got over them. I was not surprised when on Sunday morning--four days after the first symptom--I felt good and went out to buy milk. 

Two hours later all the symptoms came crashing back.

Monday to Wednesday, days six through eight, were more of the same. I felt weak. I had a headache. I was coughing. Those three days were a blur and I can barely remember that time except I was not eating or sleeping. By then I had self-diagnosed and assured myself that whatever it was, it couldn't be COVID. After all, I was vaccinated. 

One thing might have tipped me off that this infection was different. When I have had bacterial pneumonia the progression is to less and less lung volume capacity.  Eventually it is as if you can only get a teaspoon of air with each breath.  With this infection I could expand and contract my lungs normally, I just couldn't get the oxygen I needed. 
By Thursday--day nine--at 3 a.m. things were getting worse. I was coughing and short of breath and I decided to drive to the ER. They took a swab sample for COVID PCR testing and it came back positive. I was shocked, I still can’t figure out what I did wrong. They found me a room, admitted me, and started me on oxygen. My oxygen was down to 83%, but the oxygen tubes started to bring me back. I was bedridden but no longer felt I was gasping for breath. They gave me 4 IV infusions of Remdesivir, steroids, and anticoagulants. I was not in the ICU but in a controlled-access room at the end of a hall. There was a lot gowning/ungowning, masks and shields, blood draws and vital signs, and checks at all hours. 
In Recovery
The hospital was stressed but not overwhelmed at the time. I began feeling better. Sunday I was released. That was day 13.


It isn't over. Now, in the third week, I have low fevers, sweating, headaches, chest pain, and can walk about half a block. I’m told to expect weeks of slow progress. 

I had a very rare breakthrough infection with severe symptoms. I was lucky to get a room at that hospital and lucky not to progress to intubation. Several doctors said to me that being vaccinated may have saved my life. 
I am also lucky to have good insurance backed by Medicare. At this point I have no idea what all this is going to cost.



 

11 comments:

Sally said...

“Whatever it was, it couldn't be COVID. After all, I was vaccinated.”

First, Delta changed everything.

Second, vaccinations never promised to prevent infection, only (mostly, not entirely) hospitalizations and death.

Third, anyone getting a URI now should *assume* it’s Covid-19 and NOT go out in public!

Fourth, masks in all indoor spaces.

Fifth, immunity wanes; thus the discussions/approvals pending for boosters.

Sixth, this is a diabolical virus that you don’t want to catch if you can help it.

Seventh, vaccinations do NOT prevent transmission. These vaccines are NOT sterilizing, which is the term for that.

I would not eat indoors with anyone outside my household for the duration, at least post-boosters. Let’s see what happens next year.

Lastly, good luck in your recovery, Mr Drayton.

Art Baden said...

A good reminder that 95% effectiveness is not 100% effectiveness. My take away is to assume any respiratory problem is COVID and get tested right away.
As for insurance, a few months ago my partner and I discovered we had been in proximity to a COVID positive individual. We quickly got tested and they came back negative. The urgent care facility where we got the tests has never billed our Medicare Advantage insurance although they have the info and keep sending us bills for $500 per test. We are savvy enough to know how to deal with this. Many are not. Now they are threatening collections. It may just be incompetence on their part or perhaps just garden variety greed wanting to get paid the full ridiculous amount rather than the Medicare allowable. Regardless, another example of why we need nationalized medical insurance.

Michael Steely said...

Whether immunity is obtained from COVID-19 or from a vaccine, it doesn’t provide 100% protection. Although it's rare, people can still get sick.

The sad thing is that if everyone had gotten vaccinated when they had the opportunity, prevalence of the disease would be so low that it would be effectively eradicated. We could have been so over this!

Diane Newell Meyer said...

I am also a breakthrough case. I got both vaccines back in April. I was one of 10 people at my rehab center who got it. Only by being here would I have been aware that I had it, as I had few symptoms during my quarantine, and would not have been tested. But a month later I am having some lung congestion (more than usual). I am a person with most all of the pre-existing conditions, and would maybe have died without the original vaccinations.
I think there are a lot more breakthrough cases than reported, as the person might never check in with any agency or hospital about it.
I will get the booster shot when I am home again.

Sally said...

I don’t think it’s rare anymore at all.

I know several people locally, including one who died and whose obituary was in the Mail Tribune this last week.

Michael Trigoboff said...

Wow. Yikes. Crawling right back into my hole. Only coming out for a booster…

Ed Cooper said...

Good move, Mr. Trigoboff.

Ed Cooper said...

I see anonymous chose not to cite his/her source for the claim that there are "thousands of Americans" stranded in Afghanistan, while he disses the Oresident for taking a day off. I'm curious, Anonymous ? Did you get so exercised when the Former Guy was playing footsie with Putin behind closed doors, or getting negotiated right out of his elevator shoes while surrendering to the Taliban at Doha ?

Ralph Bowman said...

Thank you very much for your contribution. Your story is hair raising. I live in. josephine County with the lowest vaccination rate in the state.
And now I will be more vigilant around the crazies who keep this county underwater.

Sally said...

Josephine county is not the lowest. None of us are good down here.

This is updated daily,

https://projects.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/

Up Close: Road to the White House said...

I removed an anonymous comment written in the style of Curt Ankerberg, the office-seeking Republican Trump supporter. Ankerberg was found guilty of deliberate fraud by the U.S. Tax Court. Ankerberg claimed a disease affecting his brain as his defense.

If readers see plagiarized or obscene comments, either anonymous or attributed to some name, readers should recognize that these are likely from Ankerberg--or are written by someone else intending to mimic the Ankerberg style.