Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Messy Democrats: A close up look at a meeting of Jackson County, Oregon, Democrats

No wonder Republicans win elections, even with a flagrantly corrupt, lawless, crude candidate like Trump.

Democrats are a mess. 


Krause at her general election kickoff event

Krause is a very successful grassroots organizer

The good news for Denise Krause: Krause got the endorsement of her local Democratic Party in a Zoom meeting last night.

The bad news for Krause: It was a divided group. She only won 41 to 14, 

Start with her good news. She is at work smoothing the water, reminding fractious Democrats that she respects the four candidates she defeated in the May primary, that endorsements and pledges of support are coming in from unions, advocacy groups, and fellow Democrats from around the county and state, and that polls suggest she is ahead in a matchup against the Republican candidate. 

Her problem is that intra-party politics are a mix of longtime personal relationships, disappointments, policy emphasis, and factions within a group. From the outside, the distinctions seem trivial and petty and not worth risking electing a Republican. Krause narrowly defeated Tonia Moro, who had longer roots with precinct committee people. Krause's grassroots support includes that circle and added to it. Voters needed to make a hard choice between them. People have their friends. 

There was a catalyst for disagreement: whether Krause jettisoned promptly enough, and with sufficient condemnation, an out-of-town campaign consultant who had been accused of a sex crime 20 years ago. 

Personal feelings are involved. Incumbent state senator Jeff Golden had endorsed Moro. Democrats rejected Golden's succession advice. Shortly after the election, Golden emailed and then telephoned me, urging me to attend an event that would feature Oregon state senators in a meeting in Ashland, Krause's home town. The meeting was to raise funds for a staff person for the legislature's environmental caucus. I have been in the situation of the worried host making a last-minute push to fill an event: You call the obvious examples of familiar people. It would have been a perfect event for Krause to attend and be among future colleagues, a place for her to affirm her support for the common cause. Golden did not invite her to the gathering, the person in line to replace him as state senator, the single most obvious and appropriate person to be there. That was a warning sign for me.

Krause's problem is exacerbated by there being a vehicle for dissent: Clay Bearnson, a former Medford City Council member. 

From the Zoom meeting. He attended but, like me, was a non-voting guest.

Bearnson decided to enter the state senate race, filing for office as an Independent, with the support of several members of the Democratic Party who had preferred Moro.

Several Democratic precinct people spoke on Bearnson's behalf at the meeting, one making the point that he was a rebel who would shake up the system. A former Medford City Council colleague, Sarah Spansall, spoke in favor of Bearnson, saying that aside from her, he was the most progressive member of the council. 

The incoming secretary for the local party, Richie Owens, spoke in favor of endorsing Bearnson, but, oddly, when it came time to vote moments later, he marked his ballot with a Red X meaning NO.

Isabella Lee Tibbets, a Democratic candidate for county commissioner, voted NO on endorsing Krause with this red X, and NO on endorsing Bearnson. [Note, that this has been updated. She informed me that I was in error saying she had voted YES on Bearnson.]

Even the party chair, David Sours, did not back Krause with a public word of support, nor a green check mark visible to participants. Most people around him in the Zoom mosaic had green check marks. Not Sours. It is possible that he voted privately, by text message, for or against Krause, but party members looking to the chair to support their elected candidate, did not find it in Sours.

No red X. No green check-mark

Bearnson was not endorsed by the Democratic Party. He got 13 votes; 43 votes opposed endorsing him. Krause dodged that bullet.

I consider this support from the local Democratic party to be underwhelming for Krause. It isn't a good sign. But it is not dispositive, either. Republicans have their own brand problem. 

The tool that Republicans have to win this race -- a growing stockpile of money -- is a poor fit for their task. The Bearnson candidacy is an opportunity to spend a portion of the GOP money supporting Bearnson. (Hey, progressive Democratic Socialists, vote for Bearnson!!! Get who you REALLY want.)  It may work, but there is a problem. This message tends to undermine the argument that Krause is extreme, and the central GOP message is to bring balance to Salem. Bearnson positions Krause in the balanced middle. 

Moreover, regardless of denoted content, a GOP avalanche of ads is a giant statement that Republicans are the big-money party at a moment when billionaire pay-for-play politics and corruption is in the news. Even mere multi-millionaires are intimidated and offended by the raw power of billionaire money in politics. Phil Knight is not content to buy athletic championships for the University of Oregon; he wants to buy a GOP legislature, too. It's a bad look, and a dilemma for Republicans with a million dollars to spend in this tiny media market. If Republican don't spend the money, Krause has an easy lay-up election in a Democratic district. If they do spend the money, their candidates look like the pawn of billionaires elites.

Democrats will do what Democrats do: fracture and fight among themselves. 

Republicans will do what Republicans do: reunify Democrats by bullying them with too much money from the wrong people.


[Note: If people I have written about disagree, or want to put out their own story, I welcome their thoughts and would publish their comments as guest posts over the next few days.]



[Note: To get daily delivery of this blog by email go to Https://petersage.substack.com. Subscribe. The blog is free and always will be.]



11 comments:

Mike said...

After MAGA’s armed attack on the Capitol building, the Oregon Republican Party issued a resolution declaring in a “false flag” operation intended to make Trump and Republicans look bad (as if they needed any help).

In 2022, Jackson County Republicans issued a resolution rejecting the certified results of the 2020 election and declaring President Biden “not legitimately elected.”

The Republican Party is predicated on Trump’s Big Lie, that he won the 2020 election. Those who acknowledge the facts are dismissed as Whackos In Name Only. Democrats who won’t unite in opposition to this madness are no better than the whackos.

Dave said...

I’m not a member of any organized party, I’m a democrat by Will Rodgers still works.

Anonymous said...

Spoiler alert: Spoilers never move the needle. Jon Anderson, Ross Perot, Ralph Nader? History says “who?” what you are really talking about is an enthusiasm gap for Krause. Whose fault is that?

Isabella Lee Tibbetts said...

Hi Peter,
Normally I have appreciated your blog but this one I have to correct. You are in fact wrong in saying that I voted to endorse Clay. I voted NO on all 3 candidate endorsements. Please do what’s right and correct that.

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised that Democrats are revolting against Denise Krause. Krause won the Democrat primary fair and square. Is Denise too conservative? Is she too liberal? What is her problem? I know Clay Bearnson better than anyone else reading this blog, and Bearnson is untalented, uneducated, and an incompetent clown who was highly ineffective in two terms on the Medford City Council. Homelessness and drug use exploded under Beanson's leadership. Bearnson brings nothing to the table, and it appears that only the youngest and dumbest Democrats are supporting him. Sarah Spansail is uneducated and she works as a clerical person in a lumber yard. Why would you listen to her? It appears that the local Democrat Party is being taken over by a bunch of high school dropouts who are enamored by socialism. Krause can beat Hicks. Bearnson CAN'T.

Jenai said...

Running an online multi-candidate endorsement meeting — one specifically designed with fairness and party integrity in mind — is complicated, to say the least. Our leadership team worked under immense scrutiny. We poured countless unpaid hours into navigating JCD bylaws, DPO bylaws, and Oregon statutes, all while juggling dozens of moving parts and conquering technological hurdles. Even Denise Krause herself took the time afterward to praise our efforts.

By reducing those exhausting, well-intentioned efforts to out-of-context screenshots and cynical cheap shots, you completely ignore the significant weight and responsibility the volunteers carried. Moving forward, I hope you can extend a bit more respect and grace to the dedicated volunteers who are actively tackling all the unglamorous hard work required to elect Democrats in Jackson County.

And I'm not even sure what you were implying when you shared a screenshot of David Sours taken during the vote. It only exposed your inclination to skip basic fact checking before leaping to half-baked conclusions. A quick glance at the Jackson County Democratic Party's bylaws explains exactly why Chair Sours did not — and cannot — vote on an open ballot: "The Chair shall: Vote only when the vote is done by secret ballot or if their vote will cause or block the attainment of a necessary vote count requirement." In your quest to find examples of wrongdoing, you managed to criticize our Chair for simply following our bylaws.

Up Close: Road to the White House said...

David Sours has agency and a voice, an opportunity to expain what he does and think and the right to be silent. I obseved what I opserved and reported it. I showed screenshots of the participants because it was a formal meeting, in public, doing serious business. I thought your own participation last night was very reasonable and professional. I didn't describe it because the post had already exceeded 1000 words and was getting long. If you think readers would get value out of your own description and commentary of the events Monday evening, please share them. Include whatever photos you like that you think more accurately depicts the event.

I, for one, saw persistent disunity, but with the silver lining that I think the mechanisms are in lace to cure that. If you saw a different event last night, perhaps a fully-positive example of democracy in action, then you would be exactly the kind of up close, first-person witness that I would like to hear from. An ideal guest post is about 700 words. Write it. Tell your story. I will likely publish it verbatim.

Susan Bizeau said...

To the Jackson County Democrats keep the records of their votes secret or can we ask to see how each one voted Monday night about endorsements for senate seat 3

Susan Bizeau said...

Yes, whose fault and who are you? I would appreciate you openly answering your own question and acknowledging who you are.

Anonymous said...

Hey Susan...it was a public vote. You can ask Peter for all of his screenshots to see how people voted. I'm sure he would be happy to provide them. :)

Up Close: Road to the White House said...

My screenshots are hit and miss. There will be minutes of the meeting. The votes were counted, but I don't know if they were recorded. I don't know what the rule are. Ask the party leaders. My personal belief is that as PCPs elected by voters they should be accountable for their votes. Therefore voters have every right and need to see who voted which way.

I voted for the PCPs on the ballot I received. I would personally not vote for one next time who voted not to endorse Krause. Other people may take the opposite view. But how would I know how to vote if their votes are secret? I will read the meeting minutes carefully.